DECALS

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This is a new area into modelling that I wanted to try, as John Rixon pointed out many aftermarket decals can be really good quality while others are just rubbish. I was also less than pleased in paying £7 for a set of Tamiya 1/35-1/16 decals for just two helmet decals. I sold the 1/35 set and managed to get shut of the other 1/16 set-this got me thinking of having a crack at my own. I know that maybe some of you have used decal paper and had mixed results.

So, here is my first set printed out. I used clear decal paper in my inkjet printer with it set to transparency. The quality looks okay, the helmet decals are 2mm in length.

P7119760.JPG

P7119760 - Copy (2).JPG

P7119760 - Copy.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
They look amazing Si ! am i right in thinking that the inkjet doesnt do white and you have to either use a white decal base or white paint under the decal ?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think you are right there Tony, I have printed white so will see how this look.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another problem is the saturation. Some colours, like yellow, look okay on the sheet but are nowhere near dense enough when put onto a model, they are almost transparent,.

I've had good luck doing markings like black RAF serials, less with, say, grey code letters.

Cheers

Steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
they look real good Si,I do like them,some think that would be very handy to have and be able to do,like your idea of making them, :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I'll give they a try, they have had two coats of lacquer, so will see how they dry.

Thanks guys for the tips and hints,

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Righto, first proper test after three coats of matt lacquer. 

First thing is yes...either paint white under the decal or use white decal paper. Quality, well I got no bleed and the lacquer has had no effect so well pleased so far. With a bit of tweaking I may get this to work.

Here are some tests on an old 1/16 T-34.

P7119763.JPG

P7119764.JPG

P7119767.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice Si,I would be happy with them,very good 1st try,well done, :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks guys, the quality is superb and I was rather surprised myself.