Decent Magazines ?

First Name
Gary
There appear to be a few on Amzon which are subscriptons, mainly for Kindle. Scale Aircraft Modelling for instance. Anyone here read any magazines ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
depends on what you want from a magazine - picture references, techniques, new products..................
I used to subscribe to several magazines, but with most of the information available on the 'net, I no longer bother.
A lot of articles have to be taken for what they are - advertising, with contributors being supplied with models, paints, tools etc, to show what can be done only by using a particular product. It may sound cynical, ( not all articles are like this ), but when you don't have to pay for your models & associated gear, you wonder how subjective reviews are.
I love seeing the superb models produced by the professional modellers, and winners from shows, but again, a little searching can normally find these online. OK the information is in one accessible place, but how many models can you buy for a years subscription?
These are purely my personal thoughts on present day model mags, I'm sure that others will have a different point of view!
Dave

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I agree with Dave, at one time you had contributers to magazines who explained how they built their models. You would get hints and tips on scratch building, even full articles. But of late it appears to be box donated, open box, throw in paint, close lid, shake, open box, throw in filters, pigments, wash - yawn, yawn, yawn - you can learn more from just a few modelmakers on the internet, than you can from model assemblers who ALL follow the same trend, at one time modellers used to come from a diverse area of finishing and subjects, now it is though they came from the same womb. I spent my money on those books that tell you how to do it, dvd's the same - should have spent my money on sweets and grown fat.
For example and here the internet is at fault as well - 3D printing - Yes they cover the unboxing, setting up and the all of a sudden there they are printing off items. My questions would be show me how to produce the drawings, what do I need to know apart from "just download this cad program and it will even make your tea and buscuits", and then how do you get the file from the computer into the 3D printer - no one caters for the absolute beginner, and it is the same with modelling.
I am sure there are modellers who would love to be informed even on this site, how do you do that, but are a bit shy to ask - but that is what we have that little envelope for next to our name. Please use it, and you will find your answer.
As for magazines, the paper variety and some other 'forums', save your money and time, find a good forum and use it.
And like Dave I go to competitions and look at the models on display at the club stands and can see the efforts put in, and then look at those in the competitions and see the expertise.
These are my views and you may not agree, but let's not start a long drawn out debate. I will not be answering points I have made mine.

First Name
Gary
Sounds like what happened to the photography magazines I used to buy. Full of interesting articles explaining the complex options and methods in macro shots as an example. Now they are full of camera reviews full of glowing accolades and very little in the way of techniques and semi pro tips that I wanted. Just one big advert. So I agree with both of you. Sometimes I just want something light to read but it has to be interesting and not just box opening articles and the rest filled with ads

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
stopped buying magazines (and newspapers for that matter) a very long time ago.......get it all on t'internet these days
i agree with the lack of'how to do this' articles too......why youtube is far better for learning, so many on there actually show how techniques are done

First Name
Gary
That is probably why most of them are kindle only on Amazon but I have seen them in WH Smiths. But I'll avoid I think.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
For me with my left eye sight problems I much prefer the net. Printed items these days seem to be on the cheapest paper and the print is hard to read.
U tube has so many people doing models, and many of them don't pull any punches either if there is a fault.