Decent tweezers at last!

First Name
mike
I've just received these, and I'm delighted! Okay, its only 4 tweezers, but I've been messing about with 'make-up/cosmetics/hairy pluckers' sort of kit...no good :smiling5:
These are very well made, from 2mm 'stainless steel' but its magnetic so not the best grade, however the ceramic or plastic gripper bits are superb. I've been using them all afternoon, trying parts, which they grip really firmly, and then on some 3mm sq decals, again they hold these tight but don't damage them at all.
Cracking value from this seller and with free overnight delivery for Prime peeps, its a YES from me!

TANCUDER 4 PCS Anti-Static Tweezers Set Precision Stainless Steel Tweezers for Crafting, Self Locking Tweezers Non-Magnetic Plastic Tipped Tweezers for Electronics Jewelry Craft Laboratory Hobby : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent mate. Good tools always make a job easier. How hard wearing do you think the plastic tips will be?

First Name
mike
I'd say they will last pretty much for ever for what we use them for, the tips are hard plastic, not like silicone rubbish!

First Name
Michael
I've just received these, and I'm delighted! Okay, its only 4 tweezers, but I've been messing about with 'make-up/cosmetics/hairy pluckers' sort of kit...no good :smiling5:
These are very well made, from 2mm 'stainless steel' but its magnetic so not the best grade, however the ceramic or plastic gripper bits are superb. I've been using them all afternoon, trying parts, which they grip really firmly, and then on some 3mm sq decals, again they hold these tight but don't damage them at all.
Cracking value from this seller and with free overnight delivery for Prime peeps, its a YES from me!

TANCUDER 4 PCS Anti-Static Tweezers Set Precision Stainless Steel Tweezers for Crafting, Self Locking Tweezers Non-Magnetic Plastic Tipped Tweezers for Electronics Jewelry Craft Laboratory Hobby : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Thanks for the heads-up on these. I grabbed a set from Amazon in response to your post and they are going to be very handy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I purchased a set of tweezers in Aldi a few weeks back. one of their special offer items. I think I gave a fiver for the set.. Ten pair af various size and shape and a little wallet to have them in. Turns out they are the same as the AK ones you can buy for about 12 quid... lol for six pair...lol

PsiFox

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I purchased a set of these and then a second after a dog pushed my elbow and I dropped them on the wood floor, points first of course, so I now have a second.

Reactions: JR

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
In my humble opinion, for this hobby a good set of tweezers are worth their weight in gold :smiling4:

Geoff

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm afraid I always get glue & paint on my tweezers - CA, PVA, Contacta - I clean them up by passing a gas lighter flame over them - so all metal tweezers for me!
Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Tweezers Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!!!!!! The pairs I have gone through from cheap eyebrow to medical and still the parts flew off to destinations unknown....
So what I do now is except for the pointed ones I c/a some 240 wet n dry about 10mm length, allow it to dry and then with the tweezers held closed I trim away the excess 240 to the shape of the tips. And when worn out - just remove - clean up and replace. And as an aside I also make my own sanding sticks except here I use foam board.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tweezers Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!!!!!! The pairs I have gone through from cheap eyebrow to medical and still the parts flew off to destinations unknown....
So what I do now is except for the pointed ones I c/a some 240 wet n dry about 10mm length, allow it to dry and then with the tweezers held closed I trim away the excess 240 to the shape of the tips. And when worn out - just remove - clean up and replace. And as an aside I also make my own sanding sticks except here I use foam board.
Now that's an idea worth trying!

I have sanded the contact points on some of my tweezers to roughen them up for a bit more grip, and have even thought about adding heat shrink tubing on some, but since I have plenty of self adhesive sandpaper I'll give your trick a go.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I never got around to buying the ones recommended in this post, but as I have developed a work around over the years probably won’t now, for the reasons below.

Tweezers….a tool guaranteed to hack you off. Trouble is, to grip well it’s intuitive to press them together harder, but all that really does is put more energy into the part so it travels further when it eventually flies out. I’ve tried and owned lots of pairs, including a relatively expensive pair with very well made jaws that meet precisely, but none of them work for me.

The design flaw seems to be that the side arms are simply too flexible. This allows the jaw to go from being nice and parallel on the part to being v shaped when the sides are minimally overstressed, so shooting the part out.

Personally the only use I’ve found with them in modelling is to hold the minute scrap of blue tack that I actually use to hold the part for positioning.

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
I've only been doing this a short time but items pinging out of my tweezers has annoyed me immensely , beige parts on a beige carpet .. lost many parts so far , on my knees sweeping the carpet to try and find the bits ..... so ordered and will give them a try .. Thank you .

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That's a Damn good idea !! cheers .
Try this, taken from my earlier comment it might save your knees from wearing out the carpet :hungry:
"So what I do now is except for the pointed ones I c/a some 240 wet n dry about 10mm length, allow it to dry and then with the tweezers held closed I trim away the excess 240 to the shape of the tips. And when worn out - just remove - clean up and replace."
Mike.

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
Try this, taken from my earlier comment it might save your knees from wearing out the carpet :hungry:
"So what I do now is except for the pointed ones I c/a some 240 wet n dry about 10mm length, allow it to dry and then with the tweezers held closed I trim away the excess 240 to the shape of the tips. And when worn out - just remove - clean up and replace."
Mike.

Feeling embarrassed how i missed your comment :disappointed2: An excellent idea though , thank you ... off to find some sandpaper now!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
S
I'm afraid I always get glue & paint on my tweezers - CA, PVA, Contacta - I clean them up by passing a gas lighter flame over them - so all metal tweezers for me!
Dave
Same here Dave! I tried sanding mine off and stabbed myself with them Lol - I might try the lighter trick next time. I also found that the slow trying ca glue is easier to use

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All good stuff I've two pairs a flat end pair and a really thin pointy pair bent over at about forty five degrees both form the medical/hospital cupboard both work fine.
I do however have a few rules I try and keep to ,have a good look at the piece your going to pick up curvy tapery bits ie the lights on fenders is there a better way of picking it up besides the obvious this applies to most parts ,secondly there's no need to squeeze the tweezers like your trying to close a pair of mole grips the harder you squeeze the further from home your piece will travel as it surrenders to the 3rd dimension. Try it there's hardly any pressure needed to pick the piece up.
I also use one of thoes looks like a pencil but has white stuff not lead to pick up small parts I think there made by ultimate ill try and put a pic up later ,another fave of mine gently stab it with the point of a sharp scaple blade picks it up a treat and no it doesn't show no one says look whyi s his model covered in stab marks ,also a cocktail stick with a bit of saliva on the end(no cocktail sticks sharpen a piece of sprue)picks up small pieces a treat. Lost parts when my daughter was young you could get a very thorough search for fifty pence a part/piece now I have to bribe her to show me how to operate all these gadgets nowadays. Dave