Deep snow?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Still planning and trying to figure out a dio which is going to need deep snow (about the equivalent of 2 feet) and not sure how to get that sort of effect, so now asking the experts.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Build it up like any other groundwork, with foam or whatever you prefer to use. Then, instead of covering it with a fairly coarse texture to replicate earth, cover it with something smooth and paint it white.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
What scale is your diorama going to be? I've just bought some Precision Snow & Ice. Looks a great product. Check it out on Youtube

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Build it up like any other groundwork, with foam or whatever you prefer to use. Then, instead of covering it with a fairly coarse texture to replicate earth, cover it with something smooth and paint it white.
Thanks Jakko :thumb2:
It's basically going to be (ground) a house & garden with a hedge, so thinking about it, with no roof insulation - very little on roof, but need the hedge and garden fairly well covered with the path trodden down.
What scale is your diorama going to be? I've just bought some Precision Snow & Ice. Looks a great product. Check it out on Youtube
Thanks Alan
Going to be 1/72, so will need to be fairly fine stuff, I'll check them out on youtube, thanks!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If the snow is very deep, there will also be on the roof of the house, even if that is heated and uninsulated, though not as much as on the ground, I suspect.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
If the snow is very deep, there will also be on the roof of the house, even if that is heated and uninsulated, though not as much as on the ground, I suspect.
What I was thinking - the house had facilities for fires in the 3 bedrooms, but with coal being rationed, possibly with only what little wood that could have been gathered locally - January 1940 was a cold one!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I would build the ground work up with the likes of
1619470184232.png
Being white it's best feature, plus it's very light weight , work it with a wet finger to make it smooth. Spray this with hair spray before applying the snow powder .For snow I use as Alan has suggested precision ice and snow. They have 2 sizes of snow for use with 1/72 and 1/35 and larger. Look on UTube for more tips .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks John, will be investigating that - and there I was thinking about using bicarbonate of soda or flour!

• Sad
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John, will be investigating that - and there I was thinking about using bicarbonate of soda or flour!
I'd looked at such thing Gerry, but apparently they have the chance of going off, or developing a yellow tinge !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Gerry
Flour and baking powder will go yellow. Baking soda (bicarb) doesn’t. Baking soda and white glue makes a very good melting snow effect.
John is the snow god though, so follow his advice.....

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I'd throw in a suggestion but can you believe a guy from the tropics? :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

PS: I do have one or two suggestions having done snow dios.:smiling2:
All suggestions taken on board and gratefully received - I've never done anything to represent snow (not even a drawing!) so even worse than my current project (as I've done a few pictures with mountain scenery, which I've been drawing on for that)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay here goes. I use plaster of paris for my snow. It cures and hardens very fast so the method to create smooth snow that has settled and slightly melted on the top by the sunrays I would add more water to the mix until it is pourable and pour it over the surface I want. It immediately starts to stiffen as you pour so you can build up in layers. It's good for tops of walls and hedges as well as stream banks. Here's a shot of part of the dio I made...

1619626717463.png
1619626787796.png

I work in 1/35 scale but I think you can dilute the mix further and apply with a small syringe. Hope the images help.

Cheers,
Richard