Deep space 9

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
She I saw my sons DS9 dio he did me it got me thinking how I could do something similar

Well I used to collect the furuta Star Trek models , these were a collection of starships you got in vending machines only in japan and I have the USS Defiant and a Jem'Hadar attack ship so I watched a couple of episodes to see how they looked both for painting and battle sequences , also on screen they look a similar scale

Hear is how they look now

View attachment 77547

As you can see they are quite detailed kits for there size 3 inches for the Jem'Hadar and nearly 4 inches for the Defiant

First up is giving them a good clean in soapy water , the Jem'Hadar needs a complete repaint as for some reason it's blue and not the silvery grey it looks like in the show , defiant just needs some battle damage

image.jpg

P

Polux

Let's see how all it turns, Alan ;)

Sounds very interesting.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Interesting set up Alan. For that small they are detailed and should look superb re-painted etc and then in a setting.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers folks thanks for the support :smiling3:

Defiant now has her battle damage , major blast points have been made by heating the end of a holder for corn on the cob then pushing it into the plastic , this then makes a groove and builds up the edges to give the effect of metal being first outward due to an explosion , then the rip or crater has been painted matt black and then dabbed with a little bit of black to give a scorched effect , then DB with steel make the effect of bare metal

The lesser marks are simple DB in black with steel highlights View attachment 77549

View attachment 77550

dorsal and ventral views View attachment 77551

View attachment 77552

major blast points
The Jem'Hdar attack ship has had a coat of primer :smiling3: View attachment 77553

Next I will mix some steel and light grey and apply it to the Jem'Hadar for it's main hull colour
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

N

noble

Very interesting Alan the kits look good so far will be watching with interest.

scott

First Name
Dave
The Defiant battle damage looks good.I can almost hear Worf saying 'Today is a good day to die'!.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I appreciate it

Here's the finished Jem'Hadar attack ship View attachment 77554

View attachment 77555

Battle damage as before
Here's what she looks like in the show View attachment 77556

Not exactly spot on but near enough for the size of it
Next is the base , I'm just going to cut two sides of the box away so I'm left with a bottom and two sides these will be painted black with specks of white for stars and I'm going to see if I can get a decent pic of DS9 cut that out and stick it on if it looks good enough I'll leave it if not I'll paint the denorious belt on instead :smiling3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Good start Alan, the Jammy-dodger ship looks better know it has had a coat. The blast points on the Defiant look superb, really realistic.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Si I've had to put it on hold for until tomorrow , I haven't got enough black paint to do the setting or pipe cleaners to simulate phaser fire , I was going to use clear straws but I thought if I used pipe cleaners then I can just paint the fluffy bits lightly to give it that blue hue on the edges of the beam

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
So, you're going for the full battle scene...like it, that should be good to see how you pull that off, interesting idea using pipe-cleaners.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Mate its age old problem of dioramas! It looks holding your head but probably not in real life :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Mate its age old problem of dioramas! It looks holding your head but probably not in real life :D
Well, we were on about that before, what looks in your head rarely transpires into the finished item. But, if we don't try then we never know, that's part of the fun I suppose.

W

Willi262

According to the DS9 tech manual the Defiant had ablative armor, so that damage effect would be correct, I think.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Yes Steve your right, ablative armour decipates the energy from an energy based weapon and disperses it over a larger area but like anything else it won't last for ever :smiling3:

Si your spot on it will be interesting to see if it works :smiling3: