DEFINITELY a rumble in the Jungle!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Guys,
Well,as the "Nam" mojo is back,and the latest dio is nearing it`s end,i`m looking to put some plastic together for my 3rd,(and probably final),Vietnam Diorama.
At the moment i`ve just started the main protagonist... an old Italeri Kit of the SPG M110....
......I`ve always loved a big gun,and these howitzers are serious beasts :cool::thumb2: .
Here`s the kit,anyone who`d like to look in will be much appreciated,i know it`s a bit of a niche subject!.......
1639429772788.png
Stock photo as i`ve had trouble with downloading my pics again?!...
Progress has been swift,fit generally good but certainly wanting in some areas!.... More to come tomorrow:thumb2:;),
All good fun!!
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy .
I'm in, remember seeing a US gun crew at their camp cleaning a Long Tom. That was a memorable moment watching them pulling the pull thro down the barrel and singing as they did it .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Count me in Andy. I always feel rather sorry for Vietnam veterans. They did their duty and faced the horrors of war and yet because the Vietnam War was seen as "politically wrong" they were stigmatized as the years passed. A bit like the post war attitude, in some quarters, to Bomber Command.
Sorry - probably shouldn't make comment.
I'll enjoy watching this develop.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is still quite a good kit, if you ask me, the main improvement it can use is some plumbing for the hydraulics around the back of the gun platform. And probably replacement tracks that will hang over the wheels better, but good luck finding any that aren't single-link resin castings :sad:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy .
I'm in, remember seeing a US gun crew at their camp cleaning a Long Tom. That was a memorable moment watching them pulling the pull thro down the barrel and singing as they did it .
Nice one John:thumb2:,
That must`ve been quite a sight!!:hugging-face:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Count me in Andy. I always feel rather sorry for Vietnam veterans. They did their duty and faced the horrors of war and yet because the Vietnam War was seen as "politically wrong" they were stigmatized as the years passed. A bit like the post war attitude, in some quarters, to Bomber Command.
Sorry - probably shouldn't make comment.
I'll enjoy watching this develop.
Jim
Welcome aboard Jim:smiling2:,,
Can`t see anything wrong with your comments there Sir..... I completely agree with all of it:thumb2:,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That is still quite a good kit, if you ask me, the main improvement it can use is some plumbing for the hydraulics around the back of the gun platform. And probably replacement tracks that will hang over the wheels better, but good luck finding any that aren't single-link resin castings :sad:
Yep,I agree Jakko,i think it`s a nice kit too:thumb2:,
I may try adding some pipework etc,not sure yet...... as for the tracks,well,after looking earlier in the week..... i think i`ll stick with what i`ve got!!:astonished:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,onto a brief update of the week`s progress,
First those "Vague" instructions..........
IMG20211216203807.jpg
Not exactly awful,but can be a little confusing,(For me anyway!!).Note the use of melting parts to seal them..... that`s used quite a lot in this kit,no problem with a decent soldering Iron mind,and a great way to ensure that "Moving Parts" do just that!!:thumb2:
The Hull pretty much complete and under a coat of Primer here.......
m111.jpg
m113.jpg
Finally for now,the sub assembly which makes up the bulk of the "Shovel",it articulates very nicely too............
m114.jpg
So there`s the progress up to now,today i`ll be "Greening" the hull up,putting tracks on and building the sub assembly for the Barrel itself..... well,that`s the plan anyway!!:money-face::thumb2:,
Thanks for looking in,
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Hull is looking rather good. Are you going to leave the shovel/spade articulated or glue it solid once positioned?
Keep up the good work.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking good :smiling3: The plumbing you could add is mainly around the shell hoist/rammer, and should be doable fairly easily with some copper wire, if you don’t care that the whole thing won’t be movable anymore.