Del's Titanic build. Academy limited edition

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
My loving wife has bought me a wedding anniversary gift..

A limited edition Academy model of the Titanic.
PXL_20210223_140520808.jpg

PXL_20210223_140431042.jpg

PXL_20210223_140419070.jpg

PXL_20210223_140311842.jpg

PXL_20210223_140304433.jpg

PXL_20210223_140256350.jpg
I'VE NEVER BUILT A SHIP BEFORE!!!!!

I'm more than nervous, it's a nice kit with real wood for the decking and a helluva lot of PE.

I may well be asking, no..I WILL be asking lots of you for any tips as I undertake this behemoth of a task.

I'm assuming weathering would not be relevant as it only went out once.

If it goes awry, I'll make an iceberg and attempt my first diorama..

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WHATS the scale of it Del ? an you say you never built a ship before well theres always the first time on everything an if SWMBO ask how its goin tell her great its also got LED''S this will be great come on lets get started
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll join in please Del.

There's plenty of mariners here to help, not me unfortunately :smiling3:

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
WHATS the scale of it Del ? an you say you never built a ship before well theres always the first time on everything an if SWMBO ask how its goin tell her great its also got LED''S this will be great come on lets get started
chris

1/400 Chris, I have next week off so I intend to start it then..

....and yes, the pressure is on as I know SWMBO will be nosey over my shoulder!

Del

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well that's enough incentive to make a superb job of it Del, and very kind of your good lady.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Del
Take it slowly, think twice stick once.......have a look around the site. There have been several built on here I think.....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
1/400 Chris, I have next week off so I intend to start it then..

....and yes, the pressure is on as I know SWMBO will be nosey over my shoulder!

Del
COR i shount want to be in your shoes Del if she will be nosein over your shoulder as you build:thinking: to keep her busy buy her another star wars lego set for her to build an she will be to busy building that to take notice of what you are doin on the titanic lol an im lookin forward to this COR loads of P/E an real wood decks an leds in it that not a model its a gold mine lol
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Del
That is a great present. Looks fantastic. As Tim says take it slow and steady. I'll enjoy following this.
Jim

First Name
Carl
Looks like a nice version of the ship. As others have said, take it slow and don’t feel obliged to rush. I bought one 18 years ago and it’s only half finished, although that was mainly because I never had anywhere to build it until very recently.
ships have a lot of repetition which can sometimes feel a grind but I just do 15 minutes here and half hour there when I’m in the mood and eventually it gets completed.
Have fun.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Belting! This one, in the not limited edition version, is my next planned. I'm just not happy with my first attempt (Revell's 1/700 version).

Particularly interested in the lighting on this as I'll be doing mine custom. Will you be doing an indoor diorama with Kate Winslet's norks as my Godson suggested I do?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have sorted the pictures in the opening post and the redundant comments about the size of the original photos removed.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH great work Ian as those pics now show up lovely an i will be able to enjoy this great build again many thanks
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It's me building it!! Don't get to excited!!

;) :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy:
Del in my opinion you are as good a moddeler as anybody eles its just how you apply yourself to it as one of the guys said just read instrucion twice an glue once an im sure it will turn out a great build an we will all enjoy the fruits of your labours an dont hurry just take your time like i do on my tiger build an ive made a few cock ups but try an put it right if you do go wrong but most of all enjoy the build an have fun an yes we know this is your first ship build an we all been there but just try your best
chris

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Del in my opinion you are as good a moddeler as anybody eles its just how you apply yourself to it as one of the guys said just read instrucion twice an glue once an im sure it will turn out a great build an we will all enjoy the fruits of your labours an dont hurry just take your time like i do on my tiger build an ive made a few cock ups but try an put it right if you do go wrong but most of all enjoy the build an have fun an yes we know this is your first ship build an we all been there but just try your best
chris

:thumb2: cheers Chris.