"Desperate Defence 1944" diorama

D

dubster72

This will be my first entry into Terry's diorama GB.

The title sums it up, a group of German soldiers fighting a desperate rearguard action against the advancing Ivans.

The action will take place in the autumn of 1944 somewhere close to the Polish/Russian border. The backdrop is an abandoned KV-2 left from Operation Barbarossa.
20170114_144123-1.jpg 20170114_144242-1.jpg 20170114_144327-1.jpg
The KV-2 is from this kit. I'd advise anyone to steer well clear of this one - it's a dog! Lots of annoying ejector pin marks, even on mounting surfaces :sad:
20170114_144003.jpg
The figures are a very nice set from Dragon. Their Gen 2 stuff is pretty awesome.
20170114_145046-1.jpg
I've started the base - it's a box photo frame with some polystyrene to add lumps & bumps with a coating of plaster.
20170114_151414.jpg
Next is the grass... A square of faux fur in Sylvan Green
20170114_143700-1.jpg
Then I've applied some green acrylic paint by hand to tone down the shiny quality of the fur. I'll be doing some more work to it in the next installment
20170114_143757-1.jpg 20170114_143837-1.jpg
Thanks for looking
Patrick

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
you have my interest with this one,Patrick ;)
very nice work with the Kv-2,liking the look of it,the rust staining on the turret,is great,
well the whole thing in my eye,s as you know I like hash weathering,:D
do like the idea of the,faux fur,must try this one day as well,

The KV-2 is from this kit. I'd advise anyone to steer well clear of this one - it's a dog! Lots of annoying ejector pin marks, even on mounting surfaces
I,do have two of these,s in my stash,but have not had a look at them let,I don,t mind the Trumpeter kits,a nice no problem build,:rolleyes:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That looks great and shaping up to something very interesting!:cool::smiling3:

D

dubster72

Thanks peeps, I've decided that the tank should be in a boggy area. It gives a better idea of why it was abandoned.

So I'll have to wait until Thursday when I can get to buy some scenic water stuff.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just come across this and this looks pretty damn good ( love the base really I do

Regards

Robert

D

dubster72

A small update, I've stuck the grass to the base & added a couple of coats of gloss varnish to seal the plaster.
20170121_010316.jpg
20170121_010501.jpg
Next will be creating some marsh reeds & adding the tank, prior to pouring the Realistic Water.

Thanks for looking :smiling3:

D

dubster72

That grass looks really good. Where did you get the fur from did you buy it or find it?

Thanks Alex. I bought the fur from an eBay shop - it's standard stuff, so any type is good for this kind of thing. The trick is to apply the paint with your fingers to prevent the strands from becoming too wet.
Or you can use an airbrush to colour it. The only problem with that method is getting the paint deep into the fur. Or maybe I just like getting messy! ;)

First Name
Alex
Thanks Alex. I bought the fur from an eBay shop - it's standard stuff, so any type is good for this kind of thing. The trick is to apply the paint with your fingers to prevent the strands from becoming too wet.
Or you can use an airbrush to colour it. The only problem with that method is getting the paint deep into the fur. Or maybe I just like getting messy! ;)

I'll keep an eye out for some when I do my next diorama although, i'll probably trim mine and see how that looks. If you're afraid of getting paint on your fingers you've definitely found the wrong hobby! nothing wrong with messy fingers, i think i have paint on mine on a pretty much daily basis :D