Detail Brushes Recomendation

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi all,

I am looking for some new fine detail brushes. I hear good things about the 7 series brushes. It's for figures and other fine details.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Series sevens are very good, I have several. However, these days I would recommend Raphael series 8404, probably size 1 for fine detail.
Don’t go for the micro sizes like OOO though, they don’t hold enough paint so suffer tip drying far too quickly. Remember it’s not the size of the brush, it’s the brush’s ability to hold a point that counts.
If you haven’t got any, invest in some Masters brush cleaner at the same time. It will keep your brushes in good condition for a very long time. Last point, dont use your best brushes for metallics or dry brushing, it ruins them in short order…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think it was me that recommended them ;) They are great for general work, but size two and above don’t hold point well, and they are a bit small. However, the Raphael are a league or two above Rosemary, and Slu mentioned series seven, which are a similar price.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Following our conversation on the Andrea silver thread, don’t use your best brushes like Raphael for metallics, it’ll ruin them in very short order.