Developing a new modelling room

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Here she is with the carpet tiles down. Note that I have some spares so I can easily replace some if I get a significant paint spill.

The colour is perfect as most dropped plastic parts should stand out, with a low nap that should limit any bounce as well. The carpet monster will find it difficult to hide as long as I keep things off the floor around the bench and make sure it is regularly vacuumed.

BD0965A6-BE06-4A10-8731-B25FBAC0D2C4.jpeg

I have a workbench and spray bench being delivered over the next few days.

Once I have them sorted I will finalise planning for the display shelves. I will want the maximum amount of display space with shelves wide enough for any 1/32 scale aircraft, excluding four engines heavies of course. Provisionally I am thinking of around 18 inches width.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry its comin on an lookin very nice an tidy you will be up to be a member of the TBC is very likely lol but im in envey an when you get you big 65inch tv what make have you chosen ? as we have a small 43 inch sony bravia thin tv
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Barry.

Out of interest how big is the room? I was trying to work it out from your initial plans on the first page....I might have missed it elsewhere .... But it looked like roughly 10' X 11or 12'.

Can only imagine what it will look like once finished.

ATB.

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry its comin on an lookin very nice an tidy you will be up to be a member of the TBC is very likely lol but im in envey an when you get you big 65inch tv what make have you chosen ? as we have a small 43 inch sony bravia thin tv
chris
Hi Chris

It is the LG OLED65G1, it is designed for a wall fitting and does not come with a stand. I also have a Samsung Surround Sound system, Q950T, with soundbar, rear speakers and sub-woofer plus a LG 4K Blu-Ray and a Manhattan PVR.

I am still waiting for the delivery of the unit to fit under the tv. Hence the soundbar etc sitting on boxes in the picture.

B1F9EAF5-B88F-4D74-9B38-E78D29C73A96.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Coming on very nicely indeed Barry.

Out of interest how big is the room? I was trying to work it out from your initial plans on the first page....I might have missed it elsewhere .... But it looked like roughly 10' X 11or 12'.

Can only imagine what it will look like once finished.

ATB.

Andrew

Well estimated Andrew. It’s about 10 feet by 11 or within an inch or two.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well estimated Andrew. It’s about 10 feet by 11 or within an inch or two.
Call it more of a lucky guess!! :smiling5:

I'm very jealous though.... I'm based at the kitchen table..... But at least my wife and I have come to an understanding that as long as my work, tools and paint are stored away neatly in the corner of it when not in use, I don't have to completely pack up

ATB.
Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
fantastic layout Barry but what is a manhattan pvr ?
chris
PVR I think stands for personal video recorder. In case you weren't aware they're the modern equivalent of the old fashioned video recorder but record the programmes to a hard disk like in your computer and can normally record more than one programme at once... But can obviously do a lot more besides.....

HTH

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
PVR I think stands for personal video recorder. In case you weren't aware they're the modern equivalent of the old fashioned video recorder but record the programmes to a hard disk like in your computer and can normally record more than one programme at once... But can obviously do a lot more besides.....

HTH

Andrew
HI Andrew yea i thought that it stood for that but i have 3 video players an two normal dvd players an a combi vid an dvd recorder an a humax recorder with the hard drive in an can record 5 things at the same time an can hold 500 hrs of programs could have had a 1000 hr one but i dont bother to watch much tv now as so much junk on an you all may ask why have i got all these players ? its just that over the yrs ive bought the players an they all still go an to me to throw a good player away is not on an they are all fitted nicely in to the tv cabinet below the tv an i run them all accashonally to keep them in goin condidion
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The carpet monster will find it difficult to hide as long as I keep things off the floor around the bench and make sure it is regularly vacuumed.
Barry - you've always struck me as being such an intelligent, sensible kind of chap and then you go and tempt fate with a comment like that. It's like throwing out a challenge to the wee pesky creature :tongue-out3:

It all looks as if it is going to plan.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry - you've always struck me as being such an intelligent, sensible kind of chap and then you go and tempt fate with a comment like that. It's like throwing out a challenge to the wee pesky creature :tongue-out3:

It all looks as if it is going to plan.
Jim

I am ready and waiting for him Jim, ready to swat the bu**#%.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I am ready and waiting for him Jim, ready to swat the bu**#%.
YES thats it Barry give it HELL an a few swats from me also as ive suffered to this little monster countless times an it still comes back for more
chris

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The workbench and spray bench have been delivered.

The workbench is unpacked while the spray bench is on the left still flat packed.

View attachment 433829

Some fun and games to be had today!

Now the fun really starts Barry. Were they sourced from a well known Swedish firm or did you go elsewhere?

ATB

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Now the fun really starts Barry. Were they sourced from a well known Swedish firm or did you go elsewhere?

ATB

Andrew
Elsewhere Andrew.

Here is a pic from the opposite corner. Once the two benches are up I will be able to decide on how I will do the display shelves. My current thought is to have one high level shelf level with the top of the door and cupboard all around the room except for the window of course. That will be more for storage of complete models than display of course. I will then decide on where I want lower display shelves so I can rotate models between the display shelves and storage shelves. All my stash and various spare materials will fit inside the cupboard meaning nothing will need to be on the floor to hide the carpet monster. Already I can see how easy it will be to spot dropped parts on the carpet as it really shows up bits.

2A7D212D-88B2-41D4-9FA9-27615DCDB999.jpeg

Putting the workbenches together is a two man jobby fortunately I will have some help for a bit today and over the weekend.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Ah the joys of flat pack furniture. Many a man has lost his sanity to the task. I usual measure success by how many bits I have left over at the end :rolling:
Soon you'll have the perfect space for that new tooled Spitfire.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Here is the spray and computer bench all set-up. I will have a screen to protect the computer, though only the printer will be permanently positioned on this, to the left.
8A62C426-89B0-43DB-82BD-D9D59C83F005.jpeg

The workbench is still in pieces though I have attached all the dowels and other fitments. I have help arranged for tomorrow afternoon to help with this as it will take two to hold and position the parts.
71F5581C-4872-47C5-A4B6-ACB4A96FAD5B.jpeg

Over the weekend I will decide on shelving.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
GOOD LUCK Barry
lookin good you will soon be building your classics builds an it cant come soonest enough for me as been havin with drawall sytem from missing your build lol
chris