Diorama face off!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Guys,
Well this is probably only of interest to very few of you,however,this morning i took delivery of a certain stash newbie!!:smiling4:
Now i do love a nice diorama,or even just a modest little base to set off a model,and to that end,i`ve always made my own to suit the kit i`ve made.... such as my recent Vietnam examples.BUT,that hasn`t prevented me from buying a few different types of pre made bases,over the last few years:flushed:! SO,i got to thinking what the pro`s and con`s were of using said styles against both,one another,and just scratching your own:thinking:.
With that in mind,i`ve decided to do a comparison thread,making,(and investigating),the following 3 types.....Just box art for this post as the parts are so numerous.....
1st,the "F.O.G." Models "Street corner"........Comes in 5 pieces of white plaster.......
download.jpg
2nd.... A"Heller" "Campagne" base.... a pretty universal grassed/earthy surface.... comes in one piece of cream,preformed,incredibly thin,and lightweight plastic......
dio1.jpg
lastly,and admittedly different due to the fact that it has buildings too,Mini Art`s "Country"Base,again,very thin preformed plastic,this time in grey,BUT with ALL of the,(Many,many),sheets of parts molded as one.... meaning a LOT of painstaking knife work required mefinks?!! Anyway.... "ere Tis"......
dio4 - Copy.jpg
So there they are,it`ll be interesting to see the benfits,or pitfalls of each style IMHO. I will be doing this very much "As and When",because obviously it`s involving a lot of benchtime,but if you are intrigued,then i`d be interested to hear your thoughts as i go.
In the next update i`ll put up some pics of each kit`s individual style.
Cheers for now,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good luck with the MiniArt one , I have the Normandy house model and its a pigs ear of a kit.
Almost finished making it more reasonable , but still not happy with it.
HA! Yes Gary,
I suspected as much as soon as I opened the box.... It looks an absolute nightmare, but I will try and do it;)
Congratulations on getting your one past the finishing post! :smiling3:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The Heller base needs substantial backing up, it's very thin & waffles around!
Dave
Cheers Dave,
Yeah,it feels woefully thin....I do wonder if I base it rigidly on a,say,MDF, base it should be ok though?:smiling3:
We'll find out I guess!!:sad:
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting idea Andy.

As Gary said and you have discovered, MiniArt don't keep it simple......

I have their town house on the go at the moment and you would not believe how many pieces a single building takes to build in their world.... And that's just the drain pipes.... :surprised: ..... If I recall correctly each of the gable ends was something like 11 or 12 pieces, for what was basically a flat wall with a bit of raised brickwork.....

ATB.

Andrew

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good idea Andy, will follow along.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting idea….good to see what you make of the vacuum formed parts…..

First Name
Andy
A very interesting comparison of "ready made" bases, I will be watching this to see what your opinions are.

Andy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy,
I will follow this with interest as I normally make my own.
I make my own bases too as well as the structures. For vehicles you can't run away but make them as they were mass produced but for backdrops, structures in a scene I would prefer them to be uniquely different and personalised.
It is interesting to see your comparisons though. I have tried once with an Italeri church ruin but have paired that with some modified extensions to disguise it a little. That project is ongoing.

Cheers,
Richard

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Guys,and thank you for your thoughts on this:thumb2:,
I`ve had a good old poke around with these offerings....
1st the FOG model plaster base built up ,weighs in at ;););)587 grams ,took about 25mins to rub down,then glued with "Ever Build" mitre Glue kit,again about 20 mins......
IMG20211028164943.jpg
Still needs a little filler,but i`m thinking weeds/vines may be the way to go!......,Painting seems like it should be a breeze!... Looking Promising!!....
"2nd one.... A little quicker in prep...actually NONE AT ALL;)..... Just take it outta the box and "Off Ya Go"!!!......
IMG20211028152437.jpg
Weighs about.....:rolling:... well,hang on.... about NOTHING,!!!! In fact i`m a bit worried that it`ll just float away!!:surprised:.... mind you,it`s VERY well detailed and i reckon it`s got definite promise :thumb2:....
The 3rd choice will take some extra posting... and my tea`s ready now.... so i shall be back later on this evening;),
Cheers for now
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Guys,and thank you for your thoughts on this:thumb2:,
I`ve had a good old poke around with these offerings....
1st the FOG model plaster base built up ,weighs in at ;););)587 grams ,took about 25mins to rub down,then glued with "Ever Build" mitre Glue kit,again about 20 mins......
View attachment 437368
Still needs a little filler,but i`m thinking weeds/vines may be the way to go!......,Painting seems like it should be a breeze!... Looking Promising!!....
"2nd one.... A little quicker in prep...actually NONE AT ALL;)..... Just take it outta the box and "Off Ya Go"!!!......
View attachment 437372
Weighs about.....:rolling:... well,hang on.... about NOTHING,!!!! In fact i`m a bit worried that it`ll just float away!!:surprised:.... mind you,it`s VERY well detailed and i reckon it`s got definite promise :thumb2:....
The 3rd choice will take some extra posting... and my tea`s ready now.... so i shall be back later on this evening;),
Cheers for now
Andy
Andy,
seal the surface of the FOG base. I use diluted PVA. This stops the paint sinking in & drying quickly, leaving a patchy finish..........
Dave
ps don't drop the bases they shatter into a lot of small pieces, almost impossible to join the bits together neatly!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interesting. I'll follow along. I've made a MiniArt base. Looked quite good but as Gary says 'a lot of work'.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting. The se one one looks very like the vacuum moulded Bellona Battlefields offerings of my youth….still got some stone walls from that era (40 years or so ago) doing duty on my wargames tables when needed. They paint up well.