Displaying Aircraft in Flight - methods?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A friend asked me if I could do an aircraft in flight - I'm of an age that I can remember the little stands that came in every Airfix & Frog kit, but I'd like something a bit more sophisticated. First thoughts are of a ( round?) base, with a metal rod going into the belly of the plane. It's going to be a USN 1/48 Skyhawk, Vietnam era, loaded with bombs. Has anyone any experience (pointers) on size, height, or can steer me to any articles on display stands? It's no great rush, as this is probably going to be a summer project!
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Acrylic is what I have used in the past. Rod for display base to aircraft when there is no base edge or backdrop. Painted wire to match backdrop from wingtip or exhaust to backdrop when there is one. Sheet acrylic when there is an edge to screw to then wire or acrylic rod to acrylic or slot acrylic to accept wing or elevator tip depending on view. Haven't tried, but envisioned wire from guns to base or backdrop painted to look like tracers. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave well I mounted my big 1/350th uss enterprise on a stand with a brass rod goin up into the belly of the ship but my stand had to be made very strong due to the wheight of the model I will put on a pic if you like but up to you ? or does your friend want it so the stand is difficult to see ? if so my idea wont do
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well dave there is the model on her stand an its a meter long so the stand is a lot bigger than you will need due to the models wheight but on the model of a 1/48th Skyhawk it could be a lot smaller as the plane wont be as heavy hope this helps you
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Only done an in flight plane once. Used a thin clear acrylic rod.

Jim

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim.
that's the idea I'm inclining to - how did you fasten the rod to the plane? I'm going to have to upscale a bit, to cope with the weight of a Skyhawk, but I think I see a way forward!
That propellor............................... I think you may have been better off just by having the bare spinner?
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
Allen Dewire did the Red Barron on a piece of wire with " smoke " covering the support . Think Jim's method is the dogs , looks very good .
John .

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Before joining the fuselage halves I used two part epoxy to fit a styrene tube in to the body.
I used much the same way for a Revell 747 a couple of years ago:

img_1829-jpeg.319081

(More details in the thread about this model.)

This particular plane would be displayed on a steel rod, but no reason why you couldn’t use the same method with a perspex one.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jakko :smiling2::smiling::smiling2::smiling::smiling:, thanks for pointing that out, I hate tablets when they do that, must admit it was very funny and Allen would laugh as well .John :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I hate tablets when they do that
I think it’s not the tablet’s fault (well, not directly), but the fact that the F is right underneath the R, and on a tablet screen it’s much easier to mistype than on a real keyboard because you can’t feel the keys. I have a habit of hitting a letter on the bottom row, usually B or N, instead of the space bar when typing on my iPad, so I get things likebthis (though that’s a deliberate mistake) that I never get when typing at my computer as I am now.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You can imagine me on a phone then, !
I think it’s not the tablet’s fault (well, not directly), but the fact that the F is right underneath the R, and on a tablet screen it’s much easier to mistype than on a real keyboard because you can’t feel the keys. I have a habit of hitting a letter on the bottom row, usually B or N, instead of the space bar when typing on my iPad, so I get things likebthis (though that’s a deliberate mistake) that I never get when typing at my computer as I am now.