Distinctive Markings aka Invasion Stripes

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's a copy of the original operational Memorandum No 23 which stipulates the distinctive markings for Overlord.

This is dated 18 April 1945 and some revisions and exceptions were later made. Notably gliders which were in fact marked.

Also note that the units and men who would have to apply the markings did NOT recieve an order at this early date. Please read paragraph 5,"Briefing". Most units had 24-48 hours to apply the markings before the original date for the invasion,prior to the postponement.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Wow Steve, where do you get this stuff, it's great.

It's really interesting to read the actual directive for the invasion stripes for D day.

Thanks for sharing this mate.

Tony.

Ps got any more?

K

Keith9657

Steve, is that not a typo in sec. 2b? Should it not be SHAEF and not SHEAF? Or am I barking up the wrong tree (again)?

Keith

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well spotted!

Definitely a typo. The reference is to the ammendment which exempted Bomber Command aircraft from carrying the distinctive markings,originally they were included. Bomber Command,operating mainly at night,was understandably worried about the compromising effect of 24" wide white stripes on its bombers.

That ammendment must have been approved and passed down from SHAEF.

I'm glad you pointed that out because my notes say that this ammendment (usually just called Ammendment 1) was made on 11th rather than 4th May.

Cheers

Steve

K

Keith9657

Nonetheless, a fascinating document. I knew the stripes were 24" wide but its great to see the actual documrnt.

Keith

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful document Steve, cheers. I can envisage everyone now working out their scale for the 18" wide stripes and the distances from the national markings.