DIY - Foam inlay for tools

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,

I haven't been able to work on any scale-model-projects lately due to a lack of time,
but recently I ordered some foam boards to organize my garage tool-cart and I found it very useful to organize my modeling-tools as well.
I searched the internet for 'EPE Foam inlay', but in the US it's best known as 'Kaizen foam'

So I thought some of you might find this interesting, here's one I made for a drawer in my hobby corner...

I've laid down my 'most-used' tools on the foam and with a sharp, new blade I slowly cut the outlines.
Then the hardest part is scraping it out with your finger.
StevenFoam_001.jpg

After a lot of cutting I got a pretty cool result.
StevenFoam_002.jpg

StevenFoam_003.jpg

I used the foam in my (Ikea) drawer unit,
This drawer comes out only 35cm, something you might need to think about beforehand.
StevenFoam_004.jpg

So that's all,
If you made one yourself, feel free to post a picture of it ; )

Cheers,
Steven

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Here's an other one I made for my label-printer, there's really a ton of stuff you can organize! : D
StevenFoam_005_Dymo.jpg

Cheers,
Steven

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s a very good idea, though I doubt I’d want to use it myself — not just for the want of a desk drawer to put it in, but also because if I did have a drawer like that I would eventually end up putting more tools in it than will fit anyway :smiling3:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
@Jakko, Yes I know what you mean : D, I did just one drawer with the tools I use the most, but my other drawers are all filled with a bunch of unorganized stuff ; D
Cheers, Steven

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks beautifully done, Steven, just showed if to Christine, she thought the same.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Really cool idea Steven!!! I wish I had drawers in my dining table….

I think this is something for Jimbo, President of the Tidy Bench Club for sure.....