Do model companies listen??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening all

Been watching on YT, Andy from Andy's hobby store, building a production ready Das Werk StuG G in 1 16.

However, It still has the 3 faults carried over from Takoms 1 35 StuG:anguished:

Wrong rear lamp
Wrongly placed S tow hooks
And the worse of all, no pistol port on the drivers side, by the fender bracket. This was missed by Tamiya, way back!

I messaged Das Werk and had the usual thanks for your message!

The kit looks well designed and good to build. Theres also debate on a radio problem and a big debate on welds, thickness of plates etc, not that sad lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Once the moulds are made the kit isn’t going to change any time soon…..especially on something as niche as that subject Bob.
They probably listen, or at least read, but the cost effectiveness of the change means they won’t act unless it kills sales.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I can understand that Tim, but they changed the treadplate on the fenders, so cannot understand why at least supply a pistol port to glue on, will have to have a go at making a bugger

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If you follow makers Facebook pages, you find that some do listen to comments & criticisms and actually do alter their models - sometimes even delaying introduction. This does tend to be the smaller companies & of course them sharing their renders & pilot builds on FB for comments.
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
These faults were reported on the Takom kit, so no excuses why Das Werk could have not have sorted these out!

D

Deleted member 5496

Actually I am surprised they get so much right.

Some aircraft military vehicles etc. has so much stuff littering them.
Must be very difficult to get hold of drawings & even taking
close up photos difficult.

So many differences of the same hardware even under the same Mark.
They are altered to suit when they go into a dry wet rugged soggy terrain
all under the same mark.

Also how much detail do they put on. Plus some detail it must be difficult to
incorporate in the moulds or produce the add ons. Plus they have a
budget to work to.

Recently finished a Dart Herald & every picture I got hold of had differences
one to the other.

Love to have a designer write about how they go about the work. Very intricate
& time consuming to get detail from mini photos & even close up photos.

Early in my learning career we had to choose a classic building. Measure up take
the detail & put it down on paper. Accurately :rolling: It was not easy.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some do and here are a couple of examples that I am aware of.

HKM made a number of detail changes when producing their 1/48 Lancaster after feedback on the 1/32 release.

Zoukei Mura dropped their three colour plastic as a result of feedback.

So yes it does happen but not often enough.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks like they have not included the commander and loaders seats etc, it gets worse!
Bob,
as far as I know, the model won't be available until December. All the reviews I've seen are of models made from sprue test shots - so the criticisms you see on the 'net are based on either computer renders, or pre-production samples. I've looked at the comments on Das Werk's Facebook, and there are one or two moans, but nothing major. Who knows what the retail model will end up as?
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Dave, on Andy' hobbystore on YT he is building what he says is a ready to go kit?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave, on Andy' hobbystore on YT he is building what he says is a ready to go kit?
- Aha - a new YT posting ( yesterday ) - although most of the retail outlets are still quoting a December release - Andy must have a special relationship with Das Werk ( hence the gift of 3 fullsize track links! ) - I do note that the instructions aren't shown.......... I'll be following this YT build ( although I have no intention of making one! )
Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
How far do companies go ,how deep are the punters pockets, my own personal views on this are that the 1/16 stuff isn't aimed at the likes of us more aimed at thoes that build the monthly magazine bit part models a birthday anaversery present for the partner that has everything a one off knee jerk purchase. The bigger these things get the harder they become to please anybody ,there are always a certain few who will tear something apart with their pathetic rivet counting and measuring these people have no intention of even building the thing just get pleasure from dissing products quick to criticise peoples builds but you will never see theirs. The thing at the end of the day is ,is it sold as a scale model of blah blah, or as a exact scale replica blah blah ,I see it as the first one is nice kit of the real thing second one its OK but a lot of mistakes not really a exact replica. So my thoughts aren't meant to upset or start argumentative replies how can they when they come from someone who buys something because he likes the box art or its something that he fancies building because that what it says it is on the box so thats good enough for him. I suppose I could have just said if that's what you want and thats all there is avaliable then you have to go with it warts and all ,hang on long enough and the upgrade companies will be all over it. Dave

D

Deleted member 5496

For me all of this is not a worry. Parts I would have liked to be on the model I have a go at making
if I think them important.

After all it does enhance your model making techniques & craft work. Plus you model makes it
a one off. I do enjoy making bits DIY find there is a lot of satisfaction

Laurie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
For me all of this is not a worry. Parts I would have liked to be on the model I have a go at making
if I think them important.

After all it does enhance your model making techniques & craft work. Plus you model makes it
a one off. I do enjoy making bits DIY find there is a lot of satisfaction

Laurie
Agree Laurie

But make 2 seats, frames plus ammo racks as well?
Hopefully the after market people are busy!