Does anyone use stencils for camo and other effects?

C

Cherry Collins

Hi everyone

My other half has started running a small business and has started making stencils for painting miniature models. So far he has aimed his work at the Warhammer / Wargaming market, which is where his own hobby interests are, but I wondered if you guys could give some thoughts on the suitability of this sort of product for painting your models - whatever genre you're into? He does low tac stick 'mask' stencils - suitable for applying fine detail around curved and 3d surfaces and non sticky clear film stencils for larger surfaces.

Brian - my other half - is open to suggestions as to what might work / won't work, whether this means creating a new range of stencils for planes, model cars etc, or maybe even some of his current designs could be used - as they are or with abit of tweaking? For instance - the wargaming market like things like camo patterns and grids but maybe you guys have another specific need of a stencil that would make your painting easier? (The stencils wwork best with an airbrush - spraay cans could be used but you'd need to be able to paint a very thin coat).

Anyway I won't waffle on - have a look at what he makes for the wargaming market and if you have time let me know your thoughts about whhat sort of stencils wouldbe an asset in your area of expertise. Cheers! http://www.wargaming-stencils.com/our-stencil-ranges

he is also running a kickstarter at the moment, - only a week to go and it's already funded, but it's likey that the designs may be too niche for your area of modelling.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/805848592/hs-stencil-system-wave-2-from-anarchy-models

Hope it's OK to canvas your guys forum for ideas - apologies if it's not appropriate :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think I've seen these in SNMStuff and thought they were interesting but probably more appropriate for armour modellers, I prefer aircraft. What I would be really interested in is stencils for creating bases like helicopter landing sites, parking stands and road markings etc. The road markings could be useful to plastic modellers and railway modellers who like to create their own bases.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
interesting

id like to see you come up with a MAN type ambush camo for a Panther G :D

the problem with doing them for aircraft would be the lack of interchangability.......one for a spitfire might not work for a hurricane even though they are same era and scheme!......and probably wouldnt work for larger stuff like twin engined

but if he can get it to work id think he be on to a winner! :cool:

C

Cherry Collins

\ said:
I think I've seen these in SNMStuff and thought they were interesting but probably more appropriate for armour modellers, I prefer aircraft. What I would be really interested in is stencils for creating bases like helicopter landing sites, parking stands and road markings etc. The road markings could be useful to plastic modellers and railway modellers who like to create their own bases.
View attachment 122905

This is one Brian did for Mantic games,but its designed to fit their specific Battlezones landing pad as you can see from the pic Would you be looking for a particular scale or size and would this be applied to a flat board?
mantic%20stencils-1.jpg

C

Cherry Collins

\ said:
interesting
id like to see you come up with a MAN type ambush camo for a Panther G :D

:cool:
He's done this Ambush Camo: http://www.anarchymodels.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=181&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
A few years ago there was some self stick stencils for large scale figures, as well as small 1/35 decal camo for figures. I don't know if these ever caught on.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,do like the idea of them,and would find some very useful,to have,

what would be handy is have WW2, allied and Alex ones done in the 3 most used scale,1/72. 1/48, 1,35

N

noble

I use anarchy models stencils quite often and I think they are spot on. It would be handy to have different camouflage patterns for 1/35 scale tanks and armour, keep up the good work.

Scott

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Can you post a pic of what you mean?
lol, i was kind of kidding :D

but have a read on how other people have done it

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3318

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Maybe, you should have a word with John and see if this something he may take on in his shop.