Dog Tag 1/16 Gurkha

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
B Nora, Peter that uniform is seriously good.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Personally I think that is one of your best uniforms to date mate.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

These Dog Tag figures have very realistically rendered drapery, not merely formulaic, which makes them interesting to paint.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Third time lucky! Managed to find this one before you finished it. The Gurkha's are my most respected of all army regiments. A wonderful history of fine upstanding and heroic men.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks like you have been a busy bee!

Great tone with the flesh, and uniform too.

Well spotted with the eyes, they do look better after your rework.

Did you manage to straighten the metal parts or replace them?

Looks like better weather on the way too.

And a Bank Holiday ahead, sadly the last one before Christmas!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

The metal parts are more-or-less straightened, though the Thompson needs a little more tweaking. The problem with the metal is that it is quite heavy and doesn't stick well to the resin.

Yep, heatwave on the way, just when we're all getting into Autumn mode - time to get the shorts out again. Bank holidays pass me by these days, but I'm reminded of when we were given a new wall calendar at the IWM every January, and used to take great delight in marking in all of the public holidays in bright pink as soon as we could - made the year look less foreboding (boss was never impressed).

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Jim.

Next stage. Legs finished and arms painted and attached:

100_5181.JPG100_5182.JPG

The metal left arm was difficult to do and had to be fixed in place to finish it off. The detailing on that part compared to the resin was pretty poor, but it will have to do.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've now added most of the personal equipment:

100_5183.JPG100_5185.JPG100_5184.JPG

There were straps to make for the water bottle and binocular case, as well as the lanyard, which is painted, glue-soaked cotton. I'll probably work on the base next, as he's getting heavier - the hat is metal and may make him a bit top-heavy and difficult to locate securely otherwise.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, just like Steve , caught this before it's finished. Great paintwork complimenting Calvins sculpture. The face improvement very crucial and looks much better. You've hidden the poor detailing on the metal arm very well. When doing the hat try to find a way to get it to sit further down on the head...only on parade do they sit proudly forward and cocked to the right.

I have a Kukri and those bl.... things are sharp. Good thing I don't practice knicking myself before sheathing it back into the scabbard.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard

Glad you approve of the face - took some thinking about and experimentation.

I don't think I can do anything about the hat unfortunately. It's a pretty solid piece of metal, so the only way to make it sit differently would be to slice off the top of the head, which is not really an option at this stage.

My grandmother's second husband (step grandfather?) had a fine kukri, which he acquired from a Gurkha in North Africa (he said, though he was there). It was a really nice ceremonial piece, with fine decoration on the scabbard and two smaller knives. No idea what happened to it (very likely binned by my grandmother after his death - she was like that).

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Ralph

These Dog Tag figures take quite a lot of work and raise very different issues from injection-moulded kits.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
I think this is your best to date everything looks good the colours and the whole finish is superb

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice one Peter.
Love the Colour of his uniform.Really is a nice shade and although hes fighting you at least you have conquered the quirks and White metal pests.Not my fave material to be honest.Great for weapons and armour on knights.
Nicely done mate.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - It has it's dodgy bits, believe me, but many thanks all the same.

Richard - Glad you like him so far. I absolutely hate white metal!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

No Fruil tracks for Christmas then? LOL

Another super figure Peter, Well done.

Getting closer to the Bank Holiday but no promised better weather yet.

As long as it arrives by Sunday, as I am working another Saturday!

5 weeks has flown by again!

Whats next on the bench?

Have a good day with the next figure/bust

Regards

Steve H