Dog Tag 1/16 IJN Pilot

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5192.JPG441ffa3c2d4e8569f8c882f27e41ddf3.jpg

My next figure will be another by Dog Tag; their IJN pilot. I've also made this a couple of times before, but the previous versions have gone to the model graveyard in the sky.

One point that always arises when I post this figure is that the face appears somewhat caricatured, especially because of the big teeth. However it was sculpted by a South East Asian, probably Calvin Tan, so it is not a Western parody, but rather an attempt to inject character. I personally like it, so there!

A painting and construction guide is included:

100_5193.JPG

Quite a simple figure, though a lot of straps have to be made to finish it off.

This is what's in the box:

100_5194.JPG

This is the best casting I've had of this particular figure - previous versions have been peppered with pinholes, though some areas are still affected. Thankfully there are only three metal parts, and I may swap the pistol for a flare gun anyway.

Lets see how much work the heat wave allows.........

D

Deleted member 6559

He's ready to paint:

100_5195.JPG

The main part of the figure went together very well, with a good fit and very little clean up required. The problems started with the head, which I wished I'd examined properly first, as I'd have probably sent it back to the supplier and asked for a replacement.

Unfortunately the back of the head was like an Aero bar. I tried to fill and sand as much as possible, but a lot of the detail, such as the goggle straps, were too compromised to save. As the rims of the goggles were also damaged, I decided to remove most of the detail and re-sculpt the general shape of the helmet, which also allowed for better filling and smoothing. Once that was done, I re-made the straps from plastic card and fortunately found some Tamiya goggles in the spares box. I'm not sure how it will paint up, but most of the top of the helmet is at least out of view - the face is fine.

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Sounds like a good repair and look forward to seeing it painted up.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Sounds like you have had some fun with the head!

It is always satisfying to "enhance/repair" something on the modelling journey.

Saturday wasn't too bad, nice and steady, and 2 days off with some reasonable weather

Time to get the paints out.

Looks like you will have fun with another none Caucasian head, he is a happy chap, isn't he just.

Have a good day with the paints and a good bank holiday too.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - The proof of the repair will be in the painting. Fingers crossed.

Steve - Glad yesterday wasn't too stressful. Two days off and the opportunity to paint eh? Could have done with a lie-in myself, but my son does voluntary work on Sunday in a charity bookshop located in this place:

download (20).jpgdownload (19).jpg

Canterbury's well known crooked shop. For some reason he has to spend two hours tarting himself up - he says he must have been in hundreds of tourist's photos already, so perhaps that's the reason.

This chap is meant to be a Pearl Harbor raider, so no wonder he's smiling and full of confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Peter.
I remember the gentleman very well, as you say bit of a take on what the sculptor wanted to portray.
Front row with the dog if he's calmed down .:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John

Dog's just been barking like crazy at a deliveryman next door. He's calmer now.

Here's the head:

100_5196.JPG

The helmet has worked out reasonably well, so I'm relived about that. Fortunately the face was in almost perfect condition, which made it a lot easier to paint than previous versions of this figure, which were covered in pinholes. I've taken a bit off the length of the teeth, which really were a bit extreme.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Great face. You have captured the Japanese features well - as has the sculpting of course.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My Peter, this is a happy chap..."I got the Alizona I got the Alizona". Soon he would regret it. If they weren't going gaga over the parked battleships and sent some of their bombs into the oil installations or reported that there were no flat tops history would have been different.

Great work on the face...can we look at the back...to check on your corrections.

Teeth and visits to the dentist weren't priority unlike the Americans.

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Many thanks.

Jim - Thanks also. This si a better rendering of my past efforts which tended to make him cartoonish.

Richard - Glad you approve. I always think of you when painting Far Eastern faces as you always give me such sound advice (especially if it looks wrong!). He'll be holding a cup of sake, so either he's about to set off, or has just returned from Pearl Harbor - I'll try and make some carrier decking for the base.

As to the helmet:

100_5199.JPG

The back of the helmet looked like the surface of the moon and couldn't be salvaged with filler. I therefore removed all of the detail, such as the strapping and goggles, though the ear-flaps were left as they were. I re-carved, smoothed off and filled the crown, then replaced the straps with thin plastic card.

The Haswegawa(?) googles I found in the spares box. They had to be stripped down and cleaned and though a little damage did occur, they'll suffice.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks ok Peter.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, the back of the helmet looks good. Doesn't seem to have had the issues meaning it's been well corrected.

:smiling6: I'll try to give pre-emptive advice but you're doing well with this Asian fella.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A very nice start Peter. The head has come out well.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - It will do.

Richard - Thanks re the head. Also, I'm trying not to cause offence to fellow modellers in your part of the world.....

Richard - Cheers. Thank for looking in.

I got the top half done before the heat really hit:

100_5201.JPG100_5205.JPG

I'm trying for a warm palette with this one, and so used mixes of Vallejo Leather Brown and Orange Brown for the overalls. The life-jacket colour is based on Dark Olive. The label at the back will need his name on it.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Good progress on the pilot, he looks very happy indeed,

And well done painting with 30+ C temperatures over the Bank Holiday

I did little colour blocking on the Gordon's Highlander but was back on garden duty trimming trees again

Hopefully getting cooler for painting the trousers

Back to work today, hopefully more reasonable temperatures from tomorrow

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H