Dog Tag 1/16 IJN Pilot

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Might not get any painting done today - foot clinic this morning, and it will probably be too hot by the time I get back. Thunderstorms predicted for this evening, then cooler temperatures thereafter.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Howdy Peter.
Hes a fine grinny and toothy beggar.As John le Mesurier would say its all rather lovely.My feet have been playing me up a lot.Last week i had awful neuropathic pain in them.Really was a fag,Had eyetest and all good phew!!,Hope you get on ok my friend.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard

Glad you like what I'm up to. Saw the podiatrist today and got a diagnosis for the various problems - basically my feet are f****d. I'm going to be measured for shoe inserts and have been shown how to bind the worst toe - also been given a catalogue from an extra-wide shoe company - ho, hum.

Also got some balsa today to make carrier decking for this bloke.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Scottie.

The foot issue is no big deal - good to have an excuse to put my feet up occasionally (as if I needed one).

One IJN pilot:

100_5208.JPG100_5209.JPG100_5210.JPG100_5211.JPG

Today I painted his lower half, then added the right hand and flare pistol. After that, some straps needed to be made to complete the life-vest and helmet, and a lanyard was made from glue-soaked cotton. The rank badge on the left arm is a Tamiya sticker from their pilot figure, and I used the backing paper to make the flag emblem on the right arm.

Really enjoyed painting this one.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter I just don't know how you keep doing it, it's just mind boggling how you keep producing such a high standard of work.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Can't really compare this with your last effort and with MM being no more I can't pull up those photos either. What I can say is that the previous figure was not one of my favourites of yours. It was quality but not up there with my top 10 Mr Day figures. This version however I really rate highly.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Excellent work it is the little additions of the straps etc that make such a difference.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Many thanks.

Pete - Very kind of you. I daren't stop to be honest, in case I lose the flow.

Jim - The last time I did this figure it seemed to cause some controversy, mainly because the face was considered caricaturish by some. I can see that it could be taken that way, but as I've said, it was sculpted by an East Asian artist and I'm sure it was just intended to evoke a smile. I'm glad you like this one.

Scottie - Thank you. I always enjoy adding those finishing touches.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great palette with warm colours and nothing cartoonish about the final finish.

Keep that foot up and rested too.

Off to find your wedgie

Regards

Steve H

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
We know you're a top figure painter Peter but I think its all the additional details you add which really elevate these figures.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Bit peed off about the foot diagnosis, as I used o be quite a walker. That's Snowdon out for next year (done it three times already though I suppose). Glad you like the figure.

Mick - Thank you. I think I'm finally beginning to get the measure of these Dog Tag figures. I've just stripped down their Russian tanker for a re-paint.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I dint think your work could get any better but I have compared this one against your other IJN builds and this is by far the best. Those were stunning so there are no words to describe how good this one is. Great work Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Thank you for your kind words. I deliberately left off painting busts over the summer in order to try and improve my painting at this scale. Hopefully I've made some progress.