Dog Tag 1/16 US Marine Pacific Islands WW2

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_4289.JPG100_4290.JPG

I'm pretty excited by this one. I've avoided this kit for years fearing that some of the usual Dog Tag problems - pinholes, metal parts, huge casting blocks etc - would make it a nightmare to build.

On opening the box, I was delighted to find an all-resin kit and no pinholes: It's very nicely cast and the sculpting is excellent:

100_4291.JPG100_4292.JPG

A trial fit has shown that the apparently huge casting blocks where the upper torso joins the legs are in fact locating lugs, and that the parts all fit together very snugly. The arms fit quite well, so it should be fairly easy to hide the join. One thing I may have to do, because I'll need to attach the right arm before painting, is remove the right hand which covers the face - if the join is too obvious I could perhaps give him a bandage or wrist compass. The options of a helmet or fatigue cap are provided.

As you can see, an excellent base is provided. He's obviously clearing vegetation to give a clear field of fire. Also supplied is his hanging jacke,t and an extra bonus, a lovely little monkey. I don't think monkeys point is real life, but I suppose it could have been trained to do so.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
All looks and sounds good. A lot of flesh to paint. I like the pointing primate.
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - Yes there is rather a lot of flesh.....

Ready for painting:

100_4293.JPG100_4294.JPG100_4296.JPG

There was an awful lot of clean up required during the construction, namely the removal of some very heavy casting seams. That said, all of the parts fitted extremely well, to the point where I decided to leave the torso separate for painting and drop it into place when finished. I did decide to remove the right hand after all, as painting the face would have been a nightmare with it in place. Some of the smaller, more delicate parts, such as the cap, weren't so well cast and needed a bit of scalpel-work and filling to make presentable. I decided to add a Garand rifle, as I felt it would be unlikely that he wouldn't have it near at hand, and an ammo belt, which I may sling around his body.

D

Deleted member 4539

Looking forward to this Peter.
Is it finished yet? :tongue-out3:.

D

Deleted member 6559

He's actually saying: ''I know that your'e meant to be the more advanced species, but look what you're doing to my island!''

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Never seen this one painted up mate.I hope the Minkey isnt naughty Topov from League of Gentlemen,He would subject anything that stood still long enough to simulated Coitus!!.Dirty little devil.
Watching with the gang.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Well Richard, lets hope this monkey behaves itself or we'll send him to Mr Chinnery the vet (always fatal).

Quite scared of this one - all of that flesh and the difficult base.

R

RichardMo

I have this one in my gray army. will be a watching this one
Rick

D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - As I say, a bit scared of this one. I'll need to darken the flesh tones to suggest a tan and there will have to be an awful lot of it.

Mick - Welcome along.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Waiting for my last Physio at Bradford Royal and catching up.
This one looks like it will test your metal!
It's going to be a challenge avoiding the "spray tan" look.
After your SBS and bust, this seems to be a good one to follow up with.
The monkey seems to be an escapee from Raiders of the Lost Ark,

"Don't eat THOSE dates!!"

It's bright and bracing here at only 3 C!
Have a good with the paints
Regards
Steve H

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
About to get a seat, are we safe to do so ? and good morning Peter.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Hope the physio goes OK - I suppose you're on your own from now on. Quite warm and sunny here in the tropical South. Yes, this one will be a challenge.

John - This will take a few days, so take your time settling in.

I've done the head and have taken some pics, as this is the last clear view before the hand goes on:

100_4297.JPG100_4298.JPG

I've mixed Red Leather in with the Flat Flesh to try and give a tanned look. It was quite hard restraining my desire to add too many bright highlights as well.

D

Deleted member 4539

It's never easy to do larger areas but what you have done looks good :smiling2:.

R

RichardMo

very nice shade on the sun touched skin not easy to pull off . great job Peter
RICK

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
peter

Nice job on all of that flesh. i do like the way he has been sculpted with a 'normal' physique rather than an overly muscular one.

Peter