Dog Tag 1/16 US Marine Pacific Islands WW2

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - Thanks. It was hard to hold back on the highlighting, but here I let the Flat Flesh do most of the work. just adding a little Red Leather to deepen the tones.

Peter - I agree. Though he still has an impressive set of pecs, he's not as muscle-bound as some offerings.

Neil. If I get the watch hands in I'll be happy. I was toying with the idea of some body hair though.....

D

Deleted member 6559

The next stage:

100_4311.JPG100_4312.JPG100_4313.JPG

Today I painted the legs. I'm not sure why, but the drapery on these Dog Tag figures takes longer than usual. I think it's partially because the superb modelling of the folds and creases needs to be 'excavated' while painting, thus throwing up lots of surprises and opportunities for extra detailing. Weathering will be done later.

I'll probably work on the base next so that I can get him secured and safe.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Impressive stuff. Not long now 'til monkey time :smiling2:
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That’s a lot of flesh but you’ve tackled it brilliantly Peter:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie and Si - many thanks for looking in. I'm falling in love again with these Dog Tag figures.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I seem to be struggling to get to the PC with my return to work?

Lovely paint so far, nice tan without being too OTT.

He seems to have the physique of a college wrestler, which isn't going to be out of place for the US army.

The drapery is quite spectacular too, a good sculpt with a great artist.

I still can't believe someone described your work as cartoonish!

Looking forward to the base and monkey today, should be fun too.

Another mini heat wave on the way, with wintery showers next week?

The pleasures of Spring in the UK!

Have a good day with the munki.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Thank you.

Steve - I'm gradually getting happier with the flesh - I expected more of myself, but held back from the extreme contrasts that would have made it zing. I always do, as the struggle to blend the tones is hard enough in the first place. Oh well, it's all part of the learning curve.

The monkey and base today, then the accessories tomorrow. I'm off to Lewes to see my granddaughter on Friday, so it would be nice to get it finished before then.

Been quite warm here, though I'm suffering a bout of sinusitis - headaches, dizziness and a complete lack of energy - so not feeling very Spring-like.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Another masterpiece Peter on the adonis.Flesh is super doopah mate.I do feel for you with Sinusitis.Get the same and yesterday it got me.Banging head and so fatigued and dizzy.I think the old epoxy putty might bring it on so might consider Polymer clay.
Cheers.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Ricardo. Cold wind floors me.

The base is done:

100_4314.JPG100_4315.JPG100_4316.JPG100_4317.JPG

The monkey was a bit tricky and took a while. The rest was relatively easily painted with dry-brushing and washes.

Now to attach the figure....

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie.

I've attached the figure to the base and weathered him slightly:

100_4318.JPG100_4320.JPG100_4321.JPG

I must say that it's a pleasure to work on a kit where everything slots into place as it should - a rare thing among figure manufacturers at this scale. It's a slight pity that the monkey's face can't be seen from the front, but you can't have everything.

Loads of gear to do now.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Flipping great ! Your work never fails to impress Peter.

On Sunday here we have the mid lent fair, always means the start of a rotten spell of weather, even snow some years, so be aware !
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Thank you. I realise that I'm lucky to have the time to spend doing this stuff.

Ralph - Glad you like it so far.

John - Ditto. I'm heading as far south as I can at the weekend, though my daughter's house is always cold, even in summer.

I've done a bit more work on the flesh; highlighting, deepening the shaded areas and adding some red tones. I'll leave it alone now:

100_4325.JPG100_4326.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi peter
I like that a lot. I just knew the monkey was right up your street. It's a slight pity that the monkey is almost behind the figure. It could have been sculpted/positioned more "to the front".
Jim

Reactions: JR