Dog Tag 1/16 US Pilot Pacific Theatre

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Another attempt to get something started. I've had nothing but disasters over the last couple of days after having been away for a few days - just shows what can happen if you take your eye off the ball.

This is Dog Tag's US Pilot, Pacific theatre, a 1/16 figure which looks very much as though it could have been sculpted by Calvin Tan. The kit is mainly resin, but for some reason the lower arms and some of the equipment are cast in white metal, yuk! There are twelve pieces in all, including the base.

I've cleaned it up and partially built it, ready for painting:

This was not easy to put together. Joining the two body halves required a lot of work removing the mould blocks, and inevitably I had to use quite a lot of filler on the join. The sculptor made a mistake in leaving a rebate for the front tab of the life-jacket at the back instead of the front, so new parts had to be made from metal foil. Part of the life-jacket rim was also missing, so that had to be patched in with scrap plastic.

Some of the other Dog Tag figures I've done in the past have been covered in pin holes, and although this was OK at first, any sanding did make them pop out. It looks reasonably clean now it's together, however, and I'm just going to accept any compromises to the finish.

A couple of reference photos:

I had my doubts that the life jacket would be as yellow as the box art, so I will tone that down. I've also seen photos of some pilots wearing red helmets, which might be nice, but I'm not sure who wore them and why. More research needed.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good luck with this one Peter. Fingers crossed as it has already thrown up some issues.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
With all the hard work put in already I am sure you will see this one to the end. Good luck with the research. Would the helmet have flight markings/names on it as well??

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Here's hoping. I'm a bit more confident about this one.

Steve - I think the red helmets probably belonged to a specific unit. It does not look as though they were marked in any way.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Nice to see you back.Never seen this one painted up mate.Ive got a Dog tag U.S pathfinder Vietnam.120mm figure which has white metal items in it.Sadly mine has dreaded Swiss cheese holes here and there.Watching this one with the gang.
Richard.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll sit next to Richard, as he can explain the finner points.
Steve , can you sit down please and remove your hat !
Peter nice to see something modern, hope it goes well .
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I've done quite a few of these Dog Tags and I do like them, though the pinhole issue is a pain.

John and Steve - Settle down and behave yourselves. If you are good you can have a bikkie - but only if you're GOOD!!!!

I've painted the head:

It's been a while since I've attempted to paint a head in this scale and I found it very hard to get back into the swing. The first attempt ended up being scrubbed off and a scalpel was taken to some lumps and bumps around the eyes. Unfortunately these were caused by bubbles just below the surface so I had to leave most of them.

When I finally realised that I wasn't painting a 1/10 bust and adapted my technique, things got a bit easier. Obviously, there's less scope for adding detail at 1/16, so the thing to do was concentrate more on the lighting. I've given him a red cap after all, deciding that it was probably the badge of a particular unit, and hopefully it should contrast nicely with the life-vest.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks excellent to me.Reminds me of someone but cant put me finger on who.
I shall endeavour to keep John and co in check.If they behave they can have a Cappuccino and Rich tea.
Keep going mate.
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's stunning Peter. You really have got a real life look going on there. Wonderful work sir

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Cappaccino? Water and ship's biscuits more like. Feel I'm back on track with painting now, thanks.

Steve - It's a bit rough in places but will serve it's purpose.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another great head, well painted with character, you could see in the photos it was much better than the LRDG head.

I didn't think changing scales would cause such an issue for you, but you've got back into it with a bang.

Storm Gareth is still beating us up with the winds and rain

Have a good day with the uniform.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Yes, that LRDG head was awful; such a shame. I've failed with five out of six of the Mitches figures that I've attempted in the past, so I think I've finally learned my lesson. Their busts by Pavel Ovecka are fine though.

The change of scales thing has shocked me somewhat. There's no doubt that working at 1/35 is a whole different ball game and ruins my technique with larger stuff. Perhaps another lesson learned.

Storm Gareth is making things lively here, though it's a bright, sunny day so far - rain later apparently, so I'll take the dog out early.

On to the figure, and the top half is done:

I've been scared stiff of this one following the bout of failures, but the technique is slowly falling back into place and I'm beginning to enjoy myself. Bloomin' fiddly though, and quite tough working with the light colours. The base for the overalls was Vallejo Stone Grey, and the life-vest was done with Buff with a touch of Flat Yellow added.

R

RichardMo

I do like the red cover it breaks up that large yellow life vest nicely. great job so far .
RICK.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Somehow i missed the L.R.D.G trooper.Shame it was a pig.Pity the head wasnt seperate to change for another.Pilot is coming along nicely Peter.The Red does add some interest indeed.I binned a project earlier.Was making a modern Bren and i just couldnt get on well scrratchbuilding.10 hours down pan but onto a LAW rocket today.
Rich.