Dogfight double pt. 1: Stuka

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Time to start another build, and dragged this out of the stash:
P1170115.JPG
This came from Craft Works in Leamington Spa a few years ago. I thought from the price it was an old kit, but it clearly isn't judging by the quality of the moulding and instructions. From Scalemates it seems to date from 2015, so it must have been brand new when I bought it. £10 for two kits - even Dave would call that a good price!
I probably won't build the Gladiator - I doubt my ability to do the rigging! Might change my mind if I spot some EZ-Line or similar at a show. The parts look good though:
P1170116.JPG
The usual starter set brushes and paint. The brushes might be useful, they look a bit better than usual, and have protectors over the bristles.
P1170117.JPG
Now, on to the main event, the Stuka.
4 sprues in light grey plastic, plus 1 clear sprue with both open and closed canopies:
P1170118.JPG
P1170119.JPG
Hardly a trace of flash, and all the ejector marks seem to be hidden, but some mould seam lines that'll need some work. Very nice moulded detail. The decals and instructions look pretty good too:
P1170120.JPG
No swastikas of course, but I have a sheet of those somewhere.
Right, must get started.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting double Peter. Mouldings look clean. I like the way the tail swastika is obscured on the box art so you don’t know it’s needed unless you are familiar with the subject ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
that looks pretty good, I see there is a large stand so the planes can be displayed dangerously close! I've managed to blag quite a few 'starter' sets off ebay, with paints, glue & brushes. Never used the glue, but the brushes are surprisingly good. The little paint pots? - occasionally I'll tap one to use for a little detail painting, but I invariably get paint on my hand opening them!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
When they provide cockpit side details like this, who needs aftermarket?
P1170121.JPGP1170122.JPG
I'll detail them a bit with some RLM66 and black, as well as a few spots of colour. Speaking of which, this is a fairly early WW2 aircraft, so I've used RLM 02, from Hobby Color Aqueous, for the interior.
I'm going to model the Stuka in flight, so I can use the stand and maybe later add the Gladiator, which seemed a good idea until I realised that means having a crew - figures are not my strong point! Here they are:
P1170124.JPG
What colours would they have been wearing in late 1940/early 1941?
Cheers
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes Andrew, they are better than expected. They're (slightly) different too, rather than the usual multiple clones of the same figure that some kits have. Airfix kindly supply a choice of seats - one with seatbelts, to be used when no pilot figure fitted, one without.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
is that feldgrau?
It’s probably discoloured from what it looked like 80 years ago. IIRC the flight suit was normally a medium blue, or tan for lightweight hot-weather suits like might be worn in Africa.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It gets a bit complicated now. I'm not sure if it's possible to insert the pilot and rear gunner after the fuselage halves have been joined, so if they have to be inserted first, they need painting. So, here they are:
P1170132.JPG
The pilot on the right - I gave him gloves to add a bit of difference! I just hope the pilot's hand will reach the joystick.
I'll give them a few hours to dry, then join the fuselage.
Pete
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It seems I was wrong - the crew can be added after the fuselage halves are joined. Just as well as I broke the pilot off his seat while trying to juggle two fuselage halves and the IP! He'll go in later. He wan't reach the control column, not sure if his feet will reach the rudder pedals.
P1170133.JPGP1170134.JPG
I've used a little Mr Dissolved Putty on the seams as there's a slight step.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It seems I was wrong - the crew can be added after the fuselage halves are joined. Just as well as I broke the pilot off his seat while trying to juggle two fuselage halves and the IP! He'll go in later. He wan't reach the control column, not sure if his feet will reach the rudder pedals.
View attachment 452458View attachment 452459
I've used a little Mr Dissolved Putty on the seams as there's a slight step.
Pete
Coming on nicely Peter!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Let's start this post with my Tip Of The Day: when drilling holes for the bomb pylons, it's best to drill them in the lower wing
P1170135.JPG
not the upper:
P1170136.JPG
OK, you can all stop laughing now.
Did you know the Stuka had a bomb aiming window below the pilot's seat? I didn't. Here's the one at RAF Hendon:
1651609532963.png
and here's the Airfix version:
P1170139.JPG

The nose sub-assembly involves 9 separate pieces, but looks pretty good:
P1170137.JPGP1170138.JPG
The joints don't look so bad 'in the flesh'!

I should be able to get the wings and that nose section fitted tomorrow.

Cheers
Pete