Dont know where to start???

S

smiler86

I was recently given a class 158 DMU Arriva train in N Gauge but with no power supply, track scenery or anything. Can someone help me out and tell me what i need first because ive never worked with N Gauge before, always been 00

D

Dingo

Smiler U'll need a power supply to make it go, a base board to put it on, then after laying the track down go out and by all the scenery U need including houses & factory buldings.

L

linebacker55

Hi Smiler 86

I'm assuming that you are already reading some railway mags, all of which advertise various products in all gauges. Have confidence in using the mail-order facilities as I have never had any problems. I frequently deal with Modelspares in Burnley, and East Kent Models in Whitstable. Gaugemaster carry extensive ranges of track power accessories as well as scenery. Peco now make locos of their own too, and check out their extensive range of wagons.

I, like others have been modelling for a number of years and try to use several suppliers because I believe it helps keep the hobby supported in other areas near and far.

Personally, I chose OO because I now have more room to build in 4mm, but not in "O". I also feel that having built some of my stock from white metal and/or brass kits then my fingers couldn't cope with anything smaller, so to a degree we are victims of design limitations. On balance, if you lack space in your house for a large OO layout then N gauge is the way to go, plus the fact that quality and detail is getting better all the time.

I wish you well for your project...jules

N

new to trains

i model in N scale too, so you have rolling stock but nothing else....

my first thought is this going to be a major new project...? or something to ' play with' from time to time ?

my recommendation is that you go buy a farish N scale starter set- these generally have a loco some wagons and usually an oval of track and a transformer/ power controller, and all that for about £50

yes it will be basic but its a good starting point, you get everything you need to make a train go !!!

- if you want this to become a major new project then it may be worth biting the bullet and planning your layout in detail and going to buy the tack you need form a local model shop or via the net, many shops do bigger discounts on bulk purchases of track....

then you will need to buy a suitable controller , if you have several circuits of track you may wish to buy a 3 or 4 circuit controller so you can run several trains independantly- you may wish to go DCC- which is a different control system all together ( digital command system)

it all depends how far you wish to go with it.....

but good luck and have fun !