Dough Hill Layout O gauge

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Lee.
Sorry to read about the ongoing problems following Covid.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. Thanks for the complement I still need to add a 4’x8’ section to it.

Rick. Thanks for the complement and I will specially among friends here on the forum like you.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris I use 600 grit sandpaper and a very clean soft lint free cloth. Clean tracks makes everything run smooth
HI Again Lee are your tracks nickol silver then ? as i used to try an clean my railroad tracks on my layout but they were made on steel as honby track an it went rusty over night so i was constanly tryin to clean my track an with about 400 ft of track on my big layout it got that all i was doin an i had that useless ZERO 1 computer to run my trains with a chip in them but well after a while i got fed up an sold it all which was a big dissapointment for me
chris

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
HI Again Lee are your tracks nickol silver then ? as i used to try an clean my railroad tracks on my layout but they were made on steel as honby track an it went rusty over night so i was constanly tryin to clean my track an with about 400 ft of track on my big layout it got that all i was doin an i had that useless ZERO 1 computer to run my trains with a chip in them but well after a while i got fed up an sold it all which was a big dissapointment for me
chris
It’s made of steel alloy with Nickel in it I think but it will get some spots of rust on it if you don’t keep up the maintenance on it

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just had a catch-up. It's coming on very nicely.

Obviously very sorry to hear about the post Covid health complications. I hope you get the right treatment.

ATB.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andrew. Thanks for the complement I seem to be getting better a little every month. Thanks

Jim. I like to say this might be around the early 1960s glad you like it. Yes I’m getting better just can push my self anymore. Thanks

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice shots Lee. Great that you are still enjoying this. As to track cleaning, have you tried anything like this? I used to use one. They are like a pencil eraser with a grit compound incorporated in the rubber.
Peco marketed a track cleaning rubber that was basically the same thing, but much smaller. The Garriflex blocks come in many grits, and are relatively cheap, lasting forever…..

As to Chris’s rust issue, the Test track at my old club had three tracks, OO, EM, and P4 gauges. The OO used basic peco track, glued down with PVA, using the age old idea of laying the track into wet glue and using weights to hold it in place while it dried. This track used to rust like nothing on earth. The other two were ply and rivet construction, glued down with contact adhesive, and never showed any sign of rust. All were steel rail (nickel silver just looks yellow to my eye). None were ballasted. The supporting structure was MDF.
The PVA was thought to be the culprit, seemingly gassing off micro quantities of acetic acid vapour due to reaction with the glue in the MDF. This, in turn, rusted the rail…..this was the conclusion of myself and my old chemistry teacher, who was also a member.
Others thought it was the steel rail being of low quality, so it rusted due to the moisture in the air. However, the storage conditions in the hall were above dewpoint and the same for all three tracks. All three would have exhibited some degree of rusting if that was the case.

Last edited: