Downed pilot - a bit of a chellenge

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

A challenge I set myself, not sure how it will pan out but here goes.

The idea was whether I could produce a bust of a downed pilot in the sea, here is the first stage - the basic sculpting which is a bit 'rough and ready' since it is a bit of a technical challenge. The head is out of Magicsculpt while the body and sea is from Miliput.

Here is a photo f the basic sculpture:

AEDF0F10-45B6-46FD-ADF8-D502CD52130D.jpeg

9FCB0DA3-5084-4F1E-A0EC-9F4FDBF9C5B0.jpeg

Ne

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Chris - he could well have had goggles - perhaps they fell off during the crash?

I suppose if I were to be 100% accurate the goggles were strapped to the flying helmet so if they did fall off they would be attached to the flying helmet possible behind his head, but this is just a fun piece so I am content in taking a bit of a liberty with the goggles.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
That's some nice sculpting Peter :thumb2:
Looking forward to the painting stage
Cheers, Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris - he could well have had goggles - perhaps they fell off during the crash?

I suppose if I were to be 100% accurate the goggles were strapped to the flying helmet so if they did fall off they would be attached to the flying helmet possible behind his head, but this is just a fun piece so I am content in taking a bit of a liberty with the goggles.
OK Peter I see you point an yes enjoy what you are doin that's most important
chris

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - I'm not planning to release this so there isn't one flying you way. Shame in a way, I'd be interested in seeg how you tackle the sea.

Richard - RAF, the Lukftwaffe tended to have lifejackets which were a padded design rather than inflated.

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for you Peter, love the idea, certainly not one I've ever seen before.
Will follow with the gang .

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks for the support guys. A little more done this afternoon - painting the face.

I am trying the 'Peter Day' method of acrylics rather than my normal oil over acrylics technique. More practice is needed but at least the paint dries faster than oils. Tonight i will be working on the leather flying helmet.
Peter

66837773-85CD-4BCB-B730-BA872367DD2D.jpeg

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice sculpting Peter, neat start of the paintwork too.:thumb2:

Looking forward to see how he ends up.

D

Deleted member 6559

Coming along very nicely Peter. I'd love to have a go at it if you ever cast another.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Pete - I tend not to use Milliput Very often, I find MagicSculpt finer grained and easier to work. This time i used Milliput because i have some which I have to find a use for, and since this is a more of a test piece I decided to use Milliput for the sea and torso.

Fernando - welcome aboard.

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - who knows if this idea works, I may try it again, with a lot more detailing in the sculpting. If I do, one will be winging its way to you.

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Face looks fine Peter

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pete - I tend not to use Milliput Very often, I find MagicSculpt finer grained and easier to work. This time i used Milliput because i have some which I have to find a use for, and since this is a more of a test piece I decided to use Milliput for the sea and torso.

Fernando - welcome aboard.

Peter
Thanks Peter.
Pete