Downed pilot - a bit of a chellenge

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Colin - glad you like it
Steve - thanks for the support, if I were to release it, there would need to be a lot more detailing, it is all a bit basic which is fine for what is a test piece.

Yesterday evening I painted the flying helment:

E52B5E8E-91AF-45F5-9AB4-50E9A76EFD2A.jpeg

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Limited time at the bench over the weekend -the weeds grew over the last week or so that I needed to tackle them, as well as taking a bit of time, and the great weather, to enjoy the garden.

Time to tackle the sea - the real challenge and not something I an very confident with.

Stage one was to apply a coat of blue, or rather a few shades of blue, all Vallejo acrylic paints.

95929045-956A-4CC4-A55F-B1AA0CC30109.jpeg

The next stage was to add some white to the tops of the ripples:

213BDBE6-9522-45F3-BC0F-AFDD52551CB4.jpeg

Not entirely realistic so I added a thin layer of transparent silicon sealant - the type of sealant sold in tubes at DIY stores.

2CC44A32-4B63-456B-A5FE-6EE6823F6067.jpeg

Next will be to add white to form the tops of the waves ...

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - I must admit that I'm quite pleased with the face, I have learned something from you tutorial.

Here is the final step - I used some white silicon sealant to add the 'froth' on top of the waves and around the figure.

I'n not 100% convinced by the result. i'm not sure if this is down to my not taking enough time and care, or whether the technique itself is the weakness - probably a mixture of both.

Here is the finished bust:

7AE7FE26-0DCA-403F-B894-25C3CD6170DF.jpeg

I may re-visit the idea but if i do I will add a lot more detail to the figure. The flying helmet needs more straps and metal fastenings. i also think the figure shoud be a little more horizontal wiht the head lower.

All in all this was a fun little diversion, and as a 'proof of concept' I think it worked. Perhaps it may feature in Sarnia's range, time will tell.

Thanks for following this one.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderfully done Peter. I am certainly no figure painter but if I were this would be a fantastic subject to paint. I hope you do release it as you could be onto a winner.