Drag Nut, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth

• Thread starter Deleted member 7237
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7237

I grew up building Ed Roth kits. Loved them then for their weirdness and the Rat Fink was a household word. Rick H.
Hi Rick you probably read a lot of hot rod/custom car mag's then, have you got any pic's of your Ed Roth bild would love to see them.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi abit of background to Ed Roth and Rat Fink.

Rat Fink is one of several hot rod characters created by artist Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, one of the originators of Kustom Kulture of automobile enthusiasts. Roth conceived Rat Fink as an anti-hero to Mickey Mouse. Rat Fink is usually portrayed as either green or gray, comically grotesque and depraved-looking with bulging, bloodshot eyes, an oversized mouth with sharp, narrow teeth, and wearing red overalls with the initials "R.F." on them. He is often seen driving cars or motorcycles.
Roth began airbrushing and selling "weirdo" T-shirts at car shows and in the pages of hot rod publications such as Car Craft in the late 1950s. By the August 1959 issue of Car Craft, "weirdo shirts" had become a craze with Ed Roth at the forefront of the movement.
Rat Fink was advertised for the first time in the July 1963 issue of Car Craft. The ad called it "The rage in California". Also in 1963, the Revell Model Company issued a plastic model kit of the character. The initial run of the kit was from 1963 to 1965, but the Rat Fink kit, along with Roth's other creations, has been re-issued by Revell over the years. Rat Fink continues to be a popular item to this day in hot rod and Kustom Kulture circles in the form of T-shirts, key chains, wallets, toys, decals, etc.
ther artists associated with Roth also drew the character, including Rat Fink Comix artist R.K. Sloane and Steve Fiorilla, who illustrated Roth's catalogs. Rat Fink and Roth are featured in Ron Mann's documentary film Tales of the Rat Fink (2006)
A Rat Fink revival in the late 1980s and the 1990s centered on the grunge/punk rock movements, both in the U.S. West Coast and in Australia (Roth drew Rat Fink artwork for the album Junk Yard by the Australian band The Birthday Party). The band White Zombie had a song titled "Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks, and Cannibal Girls". The band misfits had a song titled "Ratfink".

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth
https://www.ratfink.com/

Pete.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sorry Pete, all that stuff disappeared when I joined the Navy back in '69. I did manage to save most of my car magazines from the late 50's & early 60's. The other models I enjoyed were the old Aurora Movie Monster kits...drove my Mom nuts!
Rick H.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7237

Sorry Pete, all that stuff disappeared when I joined the Navy back in '69. I did manage to save most of my car magazines from the late 50's & early 60's. The other models I enjoyed were the old Aurora Movie Monster kits...drove my Mom nuts!
Rick H.
Shame, I would hang on to car magazines they are probably worth money, have you seen the price of Aurora Movie Monster kits now :surprised::surprised::surprised:.
Pete.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll join please , as you say something different. Have no doubt you'll make a good job of it Pete.

D

Deleted member 7237

Looking the part Pete. Your improvements will really shine when this "Bad Boy" is finished. Looking forward to your next update.
Rick H.
Cheers Rick please you like what I've done so far.
Pete.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Pete

Got to be honest first reaction was what the....?!?!???!

Further reflection resulted in 'Bonkers' closely followed by 'Mental'!!!!!

Before further reflection resulted in a position of 'Luuuuuuuuuvvvvvv IT!!'

Will be pulling up a chair if there's room!!!!

ATB

Andrew

PS. thanks for the back story!!!