Dragon 1/16 German Grenadier

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

s-l300 (4).jpg

On to the next one, and this is another given to me by Ralph - Dragon's 1/16 Grenadier, East Prussia 1945. The figure is presented in a good action pose, something you don't often get at this scale. He's wearing his zeltbahn, so loads and loads of camo to paint, but you have to do it sometimes.

The kit was complete bar one or two items of equipment which were easily replaced from the spares box:

100_4912.JPG100_4913.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

He's now ready for painting:

100_4914.JPG

The obvious advantage of plastic over resin is that it allows for free-standing parts, like the lower portions of the zeltbahn. Everything went together very well, with a good fit and only a little filler required. Parts added from the spares box include the panzerfaust and rifle.

I've also ordered these two, with a view to building up a tank-hunting vignette:

91PB3OviLeL._SY741_.jpgs-l640.jpg

It may work.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hiya Peter.
Some great choices for your next builds.I did think about making my karachev officer as an M.g 34 gunner but never got round to it.I likethe Totenkopf tank hunter and maybe a helmet on the officer would make a late war panzerjager scenario.Watching with interest.
Richard

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard.

I'm going to try and make them all Heer with insignia changes etc. A late war scenario would account for the mix of clothing - perhaps East Prussia October/November 1944. I think a helmet would be just right for the officer.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

You have had a really good run recently of building without binning, and a MiniArt build too.

A camo zeltbahn, should be fun.

Not too much weather yet, did you attend the concert at the cricket club, or just listen out on the patio?

Back on the hamster wheel, and back to making tracks, though I have had to order more as they are the wrong ones!

I can use them on another build, another day.

I have 2 Tyrion Lannister 1:10 busts to play with, a series 1 then a series 8, as he has changed more than any other character, and was $6.68 each

Hopefully a successful start to the figure and a group scenario too.

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Heavy rain all night, but no thunder. I presume Tyrion Lannister is something to do with Game of Thrones? I've never seen it I'm afraid, though I did paint a Queen of the North bust which is now in the possession of Richard Pearce.

No, didn't go to the Tears for Fears concert - we could hear it all from the garden. Kent County Cricket club are licensed to put on two or three a year, and they try to appeal to the sort of demographic that is supposed to know how to behave itself - hence Madness, Aha, Simply Red etc. However, we've more than once had to dodge a drunken, grey-haired reveller weaving his way up the middle of the Old Dover Road. The funny thing is that they've also built a luxury retirement complex at the ground, and the occupants now have a free show whether they want it or not. I posted my own Tears for Fears story on my defunct 17th Lancer thread, if you're interested.

Back to lunchtime track building eh? Hope it relieves the grind.

On to the head today, which looks nice and characterful.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4539

Looking forward to seeing the camo Peter :smiling3:.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Is that an evil chuckle Ralph?

I've been reading about the German last stand in the Leutzelwald in November 1944. It involved members of Grenadier Regiment 308:

image.jpg

In this photo I can see greatcoats, zeltbahns, a motorcycle oilskin and a paratroop smock, so a mix of gear looks OK.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Did I hear camo?? Seat drawn up for this one. Great idea for the grouping. Hope it comes out the way you planned it

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Always nice to see one of your figure groups. I'm sure that after a few months in the field clothing would be whatever they could gather together.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Nothing ever goes the way it's planned. Probably end up with something totally different from what I imagined.

Jim - Not really that bothered about the uniform issue. At the end of the war I would imagine you wore what you could get hold of.

Ralph - I suspect it was. I'm not really looking forward to it.

Bad painting day. Failed with the kit head, failed with alternatives two and three, so resorted to an old half-painted example:

100_4917.JPG100_4916.JPG

This was knocking about in a box of figures to be recycled. I assume it's by Kirin, as the Kirin helmet fitted it perfectly. It's had quite a lot of touching up, and as you can see, I've had to extend the neck scarf with Miliput.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Some good progress mate.Love the research story re late war grenadiers.Some great inspiration for stuff for future busts etc for me.Like the late mishmash of uniforms late war.
Great stuff my friend.
Richard.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Face looks good. I recall in the back of my mind that German troops made use of Italian cammo material, an option for you possibly.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Thanks. An interesting period, late 2WW. A wide variety of uniforms and scenarios,

Peter - I've done Italian camo recently:

100_4709.JPG

From what I've read, it was utilised by SS and Luftwaffe troops in Italy, but I don't think it was ever made up into zeltbahns, which were in plentiful supply from earlier in the war. A few Italian camo uniforms would have made it to the Eastern Front when troops transferred, but I think it was pretty rare there. I haven't done splinter for a while, so:

splinter-fabric1-s.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

That's an idea Ralph, though I don't own an airbrush I'm reasonably confident about brush painting it. Here's a previous effort:

100_1640.JPG

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Still raining here, can't see 25+ C yet but the BBC do, 30+ for you chaps in the deep South too!!

Better keep those paints wet at that temperature!

3 heads!, this one does look the part, ready to blast a T34.

Sorry about the unreferenced GOT item, not everyone watches it or Star Wars or Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit, opps!

Tyrion is the one character that completely changes over the 8 seasons, so a good opportunity to try some basic sculpting, one day

Shaggy hair, add a beard and facial scaring, and reduce the clothing down from very fancy to plain natural linens and cottons.

One day along with all the other 1:10 busts, Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, Russel Crowe, Sean Connery.

Looks like camo day today, your last one is superb and the "Double Denim" look too, well painted.

Have a good day with the paints, hopefully the light is better, its grim and grey up here, very Satanic Mills like

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Big fan of Tolkien but not so much the films - Peter Jackson lost my support when he had Legolas slide on his shield down the steps at Helm's Deep. As for the Hobbit films, well there's none of the book's charm and far too much action adventure.

Very dark and stormy here, but cooler. The paint was drying too fast yesterday, which is part of the reason for the head failure.

Have a great day in New Jerusalem. Off to paint some camo.....