Dragon 1/16 German Grenadier

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Big fan of Tolkien but not so much the films - Peter Jackson lost my support when he had Legolas slide on his shield down the steps at Helm's Deep. As for the Hobbit films, well there's none of the book's charm and far too much action adventure.

Oh Peter, I SO agree with you!
there was lots that was Superb about LOTR, but the Hobbit was a waste of time for me.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Big fan of Tolkien but not so much the films - Peter Jackson lost my support when he had Legolas slide on his shield down the steps at Helm's Deep. As for the Hobbit films, well there's none of the book's charm and far too much action adventure.
+1

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Totaly agree with Scottie.Always amazes me how Peter gets such a smooth neat finish.The Zeltbahn looks great Peter.Really nicely done buddy.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Not so smooth in reality, believe me.

Richard - Glad you like the camo - you know how much I hate doing it.

Ralph - It was done with a bit of swearing, but definitely no chuckles.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Some serious camo Peter, it really took dedication to finish the zeltbahn.

The drapery must have been a real challenge!

I guess today should be somewhat more relaxing by comparison.

The sun has come up and it looks like a rain free day today.

The BBC was right after all.

Have to agree with the group consensus of the Hobbit films too.

The Tolkien books are really seriously heavy duty reading, but I did get there after several attempts and growing up,

12 was too young 30 was better!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve J - Many thanks. I've got quicker at it, which is something.

Steve H - Cloudy and humid here, with soaring temperatures promised for the weekend. My granddaughter went home yesterday, so no more tugging at my trouser legs while I'm trying to paint. The camo slog over, the rest should be fun.

First read Lord of the Rings when I was 16 and fell in love. Re-read in my 30s and still enjoyed them, though could see the faults - the way Tolkien goes all grandiose and epic towards the end, which gets a bit tedious. The films missed a lot of the points - eg. the Elves weren't involved in any of the battles because they were 'fading', ie leaving Middle Earth and going away from the concerns of men. Legolas is definitely not an action-hero in the books (my biggest gripe). LotR bore alert!

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You have nailed that jacket Peter.
As for Hobbits, there enough real ones around Stamford on a Saturday night.!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The Tolkien books are really seriously heavy duty reading
When I used to work in a college, LotR was my 'go to' book when invigilating exams. Long enough to last 3 weeks of 12 hour days, with breaks.
Pete

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Got me through my A -Levels - light relief after all that studying.

Shenanigans time. I realised that something wasn't quite right in the above photos, and checking the reference I found that there should be no seams on the zeltbahn at the sides. Dragon usually put the joins where seams occur, and in this case I'd trusted them too much and hand't sanded the joins completely away. This meant of course that there should be no break in the pattern, so it was out with the filler and brushes:

100_4935.JPG100_4936.JPG100_4937.JPG100_4938.JPG

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Peter - Got me through my A -Levels - light relief after all that studying.

Morning Peter

Never thought Tolkien was a "light" read, even after A levels!

Well saved, the side by side photos of the seam repair are really good. some fancy sanding and brushwork to cover it all up.

Looks like you might need a new project for the weekend, the officer?

Have a good day with the paints, hopefully not too hot

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

Still some equipment to do, then onto trying to make fix the rifle in a convincing position. May not finish him today Steve - depends on the mojo.