Dragon 1/16 Hauptmann

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - Many thanks.

Steve - Don't lose those rivets! A through-draft is just what I needed though it does bring the pollen.

Decided to crack on and finish it:

100_4953.JPG100_4956.JPG100_4957.JPG100_4959.JPG100_4960.JPG

I decided to make a couple of changes from the box version. I've put the grenade in his right hand and supplied him with an MP40 for his right. I also added a magazine pouch for the letter. I've also given him a Hitler Jugend knife, which I came across in the spares box - he found it very useful when learning to be a young thug in his early days.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I
If I had a through draft I would loose most of my rivets and fine detailing. I spend most of my time at the bench holding my breath. No deep sighs or sneezing are permitted either. :smiling5::smiling::cool:. However when its time to tidy the bench I just open the window and job done:loudly-crying:
Personally have a through draft my self, though I wouldn't normally admit it :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks good with his new pants and old jacket.

Not that many accessories I guess, he will have someone else carrying all his gear, as is befitting for a Prussian Officer.

Looks like another sunny day in paradise.

Enjoy the painting

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Guys have said it all. Wonderful work. Looking forward to seeing what comes next

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks for your kind words chaps.

John R - Too much information, thank you!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Well you followed the "in the bin" figure with one of your best. Working at your standard must make it harder and harder to improve but you've managed it here.
Superb.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - Many thanks.

Thanks Jim

I finished this feeling a bit so-so about it. It's very hard to make field grey interesting unless you go for high contrast, which I still find myself holding back on. Next time....

Last edited by a moderator:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

I know you are not a fan of high contrast and far be it from me to try to improve your already outstanding technique. However if you do want to experiment I think this technique is just one step between your style and the high contrast finish you wish to steer clear of. What I have done to this picture is to put a small bright highlight right against the darkest dark indicating planes where the fabric is at its most reflective. If its overdone it can make the fabric look more like satin or leather, but just a subtle touch might be something for you to experiment with. You can see the effect most on the figure's left elbow and a little on his left thigh close to the gun.

Like I say it's hard to imagine improving on your results but this is just a variation that you may like to play with.

John

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

The extra contrast looks OK, perhaps its time to throw caution to the wind and have a go?

Paint stripper is always plan B, but I think it could be an interesting experiment?

Whats next on the desk?

Looks like we have a short run of bright and sunny, such a surprise during Wimbledon!

Enjoy the new figure

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Many thanks for that. I can see what you mean and I will take your advice for the future. As you say, the main problem is making the fabric look shiny, so it needs to be done carefully. Great advice. Thank you.

Steve - I think I'll leave this one as it is and experiment further on future projects. I did in fact add a lot of brighter highlights to this figure, but thought it just looked wrong, so toned it down in the end.

Lovely weather at the moment and don't mention Wimbledon - my wife's obsessed! Next thread already started - see 'Jewish Partisan.'