Dragon 1/16 Joachim Peiper

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_9345.JPG

I was recently alarmed to notice the dearth of Tamiya and Dragon 1/16 figures available from the various UK suppliers, so I put in an order with John to stock up. I've made all of them before, but it's always worth revisiting these kits to gauge any improvements in technique one may have made in the interim. The first is a Dragon depiction of Mr Nasty, Joachim Peiper. He's shown wearing Kriegsmarine pattern leather clothing, though I suspect the trousers were actually the tankers blue overalls and not leather as per the box art.

The box contents:

100_9346.JPG100_9347.JPG

One sprue of well sculpted parts and instructions that include a cut-out map. I was recently surprised to find that a photo of one of my very old builds of this kit is being used on a Vietnamese supplier's website - oh dear.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Watching as always - here before the rabble :thumb2:
I was recently surprised to find that a photo of one of my very old builds of this kit is being used on a Vietnamese supplier's website - oh dear.
Cheek of the devil these people. Take it as a compliment :rolling:
Jim

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ha, only just Jim, as the first of the infamous Rabble is here :smiling2:
Morning Peter, please begin.
Fancy seeing one of your works like that, did you have a double take when you realised ?

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Well done getting first place. I do definitely take is as a compliment.

John - Sitting comfortably? I was quite surprised to see the figure on the supplier's site, but with the now defunct forum that we don't mention, all photos were automatically released onto the internet. Quite good for publicity - I used to get 10x more hits than now - though I can see how some people wouldn't like it.

This one is built and ready for paint:

100_9348.JPG

As usual, the fit was good, though there was a lot of sanding and scalpel work involved. The join on the torso went through the middle of the shoulder boards, so I smoothed them off and reapplied the insignia.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter-that's surprising to read that all our photos are now out there, suppose we gave out rights to that when we first joined.
Looking fwd to the paint, later today ?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John. The photos went down with the site, unless they were saved by someone.

• Wow

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
View attachment 411108

I was recently alarmed to notice the dearth of Tamiya and Dragon 1/16 figures available from the various UK suppliers, so I put in an order with John to stock up. I've made all of them before, but it's always worth revisiting these kits to gauge any improvements in technique one may have made in the interim. The first is a Dragon depiction of Mr Nasty, Joachim Peiper. He's shown wearing Kriegsmarine pattern leather clothing, though I suspect the trousers were actually the tankers blue overalls and not leather as per the box art.

The box contents:

View attachment 411109View attachment 411110

One sprue of well sculpted parts and instructions that include a cut-out map. I was recently surprised to find that a photo of one of my very old builds of this kit is being used on a Vietnamese supplier's website - oh dear.
HI PETER lookin good this but ive had the same problem but with one of my ships i built 20 yrs ago as one of my boaty freind told me that some model company is useing a picture of my hms cambeltown to advertise their model kits an ive been tryin to find out who it is as my freind saw it on one of his freinds pc an now they cant find it as they were just lookin through different sites as you say cheeky devils
chris

• Wow
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Chris. I personally don't mind at all, but I think using pictures of one of your builds without permission is a bit much.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris. I personally don't mind at all, but I think using pictures of one of your builds without permission is a bit much.
HI Peter thats what i thought if they had asked id have said its ok its just the princeable of it isnt it an im watchin this build as i gather he was a bit of a nasty character this chap ? ATB
chris

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another good start on the smaller figure.

I guess the uniform doesn't allow much variation the way it has been moulded?

Must be odd finding your work out on the interweb!

Looks like a long wet week ahead

Have fun with the leather jacket today

Regards

Steve H

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great start Peter I agree with best left alone ,ages ago now some of my russian armoured train builds from the old mm site turned up on a well known Dutch site ,im sure though when I joined the mm site I pushed a button saying anybody could use said pics ,I was shocked and proud when I first saw them. Dave.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning. You're right about the jacket, but there should be enough to work with. I'm going to give him overall trousers in reed green for a bit of variety, When the other site was active my stuff used to appear all over the place, as did everyone else's. Really weird to find it cropping up in this instance though. Wet, but warmer until the end of the week they say,

Dave - It had it's advantages. Some people's work gained a huge following simply because it popped up when searchers typed 'trench' or 'Spitfire' or whatever. Like you, I took it as a great compliment.

D

Deleted member 6559

The current state of play:

100_9360.JPG100_9361.JPG

The jacket is more or less done, painted with black and basalt grey as with my Soviet tanker bust. I found that once I put the cap on, the face needed considerable work to adjust the shadows under the peak, something I found very hard to get right and which prompted a fair bit of blue language. I'm going to leave it alone now - it will have to do

Last edited by a moderator:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simply great work as always.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great work Peter and he has a rather mean looking face, would not like to meet him on a dark night.

Andy.