Dragon 1/16 Kampfgruppe Hansen Schutz

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6535.JPG

This is one I've done a couple of times before, but seeing that Hannants had new stock, I thought I'd give it another go. The figure is based on this chap from the famous group of photos of Kampfgruppe Hansen in the Ardennes:

yi3b3ykd98u11.jpg48870616596_3128ac9bea_b.jpg

There has been an almost limitless amount of discussion about who he is, and more particularly, what he's wearing, and there are a great many divergent opinions out there. He is wearing a rain cape, but it seems too short for a German zeltbahn and some have suggested it's the US version. Ditto his trousers, which seem to be waterproofs with ankle straps. The kit painting guide suggests dark Olive drab for these, so they are going with the US option and I think it's the one I'll follow.

The kit comes on a number of sprues:

100_6536.JPG100_6537.JPG

This is one of Dragon's best. The rain cape comes in several sections which enables it to sit free of the body in a natural way. A strip of ammo is provided, but I've never been able to bend it into position, it being too fragile for much handling. I could break it into small sections and attach them separately, but I think instead I'll have him holding the ammo box in his left hand.

Appropriate weather at the moment for this scenario!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
First in the door.
How's the dog ? If he's good I'll give him a biscuit !

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Beware of the dog! He's been a bit jealous since Katherine got back from NZ, and will be even worse later today when my granddaughter arrives.

Jim - You'll have witnessed the swearing at the poor fit of the rain-cape skirts then.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ready for the paint:

100_6539.JPG

The only real problem encountered was where one of the side sections of the rain-cape wouldn't fit. I've had to do a lot of filling in that area, but fortunately, most of it will be covered by equipment.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A well sculpted figure against the reference photo and an M20 in the background?

Looks like a Luftwaffe eagle on the helmet too, could give you some interesting colour choices?

Ready for paint, should be different with the American waterproofs, no doubt "acquired" from the M20!

I have this one in 1/35, along with probably 1/2 the modelling world LOL

Can't believe the BBC are already predicting another wild and stormy weekend ahead?

We haven't recovered from Storm Dennis yet!

Lets hope the eyes pass the paint test today?

Have a good day painting, with a house full too!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Kampfgruppe Hansen were part of the 1st SS Panzer Division, but you're right, they seem to have picked up a Fallschirmjager in the second picture. Perhaps it was just a question of acquiring what equipment and clothing were available?

Not sure little Remi is going to let me do much painting - ''Ga Ga up!'' then hands straight to the Loctite is the usual scenario.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you having another crack at this guy. It is certainly an iconic photo. Looking forward to seeing the colour scheme you go for

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - It will be tricky to make the colour scheme interesting. Hopefully the equipment will liven it up a bit.

The head:

100_6555.JPG

This was slightly problematic because of a couple of wandering mould lines across the face, the result, I have been told, of the plastic not being hot enough in the mould. They are difficult to remove on delicate areas like the face, so I decided to paint the worst one in as a scar.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The head looks good, creative way to hide a mould-line :thumb2: .
That guy is mentioned in a lot of (battle of the bulge) books too.
Cheers, Steven

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The curse of Dragon figure kits.So many marred by errant lines usually across faces.One of Dragons better kits and im sure le Maestro will entertain with his paints along with Mr.Kite and his benefit of being lol.
Rich.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Steven - More has probably been written about this chap than Adolf.

Richard - Those wandering mould lines! Not so important on clothing, but play havoc with a face.

As for entertaining you as long as I don't have to deal with a hogshead of real fire.....

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - We could go on for several verses with this one.

Steve - Many thanks.

The rain cape:

100_6563.JPG100_6562.JPG

I decided to use Vallejo Camo Olive Green as the base for the cape, as it best represented a general US olive drab look, and gave a touch of warmth.

The sleeves of the camo smock have just been given a base coat at this stage - they're next.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I really need to buy a book of superlatives I'm running out of words.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie mate. Will probably go for Autumn Plane Tree camo for the sleeves.