Dragon 1/16 Michael Wittmann

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5383.JPG5475202433_0aed4ebe9f_z.jpgwit09.jpg

Bit of a broken week, and off for a week's holiday on Friday, so I thought I'd do something relatively easy in the meantime. You may remember that I used elements of this kit to make up my Jewish partisan figure, and as the detailing was so good, I thought I'd re-visit it and make it as per the box. I don't really like modelling SS figures, but as there's less notoriety attached to Wittmann (apart from the trouble he caused the British at Villers-Bocage) I decided to make an exception.

The sprue shots:

100_5384.JPG100_5385.JPG

The head is actually a pretty good likeness, which further helped my decision. The nasty little bits of etch are for the headphone attachments (some hope). Dragon have also added an MP40 to bulk up the contents weight.

D

Deleted member 6559

Partially built and ready for painting:

100_5386.JPG

I decided not to use the MP40, going instead for the headphone option, though I swapped the kit version for a set from the spares box. I also ditched the kit ski cap, which was supplied in two ill-fitting parts, and again used a spare.

I always feel that a tank commander should at least carry a pair of binoculars, hence the addition of the pre-painted example.

On to the head:

100_5390.JPG100_5391.JPG

Tiny eyes, which didn't allow for highlights, but I think it will do.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I have to say, the head does seem to have a striking resemblance to Whittmann, after your paint work.

Nice work on the insignia, nicely covered by the sculpt, so as not to over emphasis the unit.

Its been a tough few days up here, I'm signed off with my knee, as I have finally given up trying to get to work through the pain.

I have my review with the surgeon next week and hopefully a replacement knee soon afterwards.

With retirement next March too, I might not get back to work?

Hopefully a full day with the leather submariners jacket today.

Have fun

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Sorry to hear that the knee is giving you more trouble - sounds like a new one is the best solution. Does it mean more bench-time though? I went to the clinic and got my shoe inserts yesterday - can't say they've made that much difference so far. I was given the option of having some toenails removed at some point, which sounds drastic, but may be an option.

Had a very bad diabetic hypo when I got back from town and feeling very shaky today - sitting at the kitchen table painting is probably the best course for today.

Yes, jacket today, and should be fun now that the insignia is done. I may do the belt and holster in brown to add a bit of contrast.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Look after yourself Peter. Glad your still able to do some art work

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Hope your feeling better this morning?

Stay at home and have a sensible breakfast to set you up for the day!

Lovely leather jacket and belt work even though you were under the weather.

Its been busier than being at work, with tying up all the loose ends with Dr's appointments, sicknotes etc

Maybe some time to put my leg up and do something else, though my knee is throbbing constantly, which is why I decided to give up trying to get to work.

Its a cold crisp morning here, but clear and bright

Hopefully a good day with your paints and the pants!

Have a good day and watch the diet!

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Good idea to not try and get to work if you're in pain - hope they're sympathetic.

I'm going to try and get this done today as we've got the granddaughter coming to babysit my son while my wife and I go off to Wiltshire for a few days from Saturday. Wittmann will be wearing the blue Luftwaffe overalls which became increasingly popular with panzer crews

Got lots of good carb foods in, so will try and eat sensibly from now on. Honestly thought I was dying during the last hypo.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Another beautifully executed figure everyone just gets better.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie

I'm afraid I couldn't get clearer pictures due to bad light. I'll have another go tomorrow.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Missed this - sorry. He is superb. As Scottie says you're getting better with each figure at the moment.
Take care of yourself. Your health is important. Sometimes a fright is the wake up call needed.
Jim

D

Deleted member 4539

Very nicely painted Peter :smiling3:.
Enjoy your holiday.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Glad you like him. I'm learning that health issues are one of the negative effects of getting older - lots of irritating little things that need to be looked after. My problem is that I haven't taken them as seriously as I should have. My wife's retiring at the end of the year (she's a doctor) and says that she's going to sort me out, starting with the basics - that's something to look forward to...

Ralph - Many thanks for looking in. We're off to Wiltshire for a week to 'do' the prehistoric sites. Found a couple of cracking handaxes today, which has wet my appetite.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh dear Peter that sounds ominous, Katherine saying she's going to sort you out. :surprised::surprised::surprised:
I can see the morning run, followed by a couple of lengths in the local outdoor pool.
You had better keep to the diet and get well by then.
Have a good break, nice painting, nothing short of stunning as per usual.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes Peter I can just imagine that.
Made me smile :smiling3:
We could always get Matron to call, but I think Katherine is quite able to sort you out alone

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Do what with your what before getting out of bed? Sounds a bit voodoo to me :thinking:

Mr Wittmann looks excellent Peter:thumb2: Was he centred before getting out of bed :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Katherine's a far more terrifying prospect than Matron - believe me.

Si - Look at Wittmann's straight back. You can be sure he did his Korperliche Bewegung like a good SS man first thing in the morning. Pity about the smoking, but he didn't live long enough for that to matter. Glad you like the painting.