Dragon 1/16 Panzer Grenadier: Completing a Vignette

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7166.JPG

I'd ordered this kit ages ago from Hong Kong intending to use it as part of a vignette. Because of the of the health crises it took two months to arrive, so it's only now that I can get on with things as planned.

Here are the sprues:

100_7167.JPG100_7168.JPG

One unique one, and again, loads of generic sprues, with a lot of extra stuff that won't be used.

I've put it together:

100_7169.JPG

My biggest bugbear with this kit is the join down the front of the parka where there should be no seam. I don't understand why Dragon did it that way when there are natural seams at the sides. To make things worse the fit was poor, so a lot of filling and sanding was required.to tray and get a smooth finish. If the line still shows, I'll just put in a seam anyway - perhaps the manufacturer ran out of large pieces of cloth and had to improvise.

Also, having been badly bitten by this kit before, I built the hands around the gun in order to ensure that it all fitted correctly. Most of the other equipment has been swapped for better Tamiya parts.

This is not a particularly great kit, so the idea always was to pair it with a couple of other so-so sculpts in order to give them all a lift. I came across an old base the other day, so I dug out the other two figures and mounted them, leaving a space for the third:

100_7172.JPG

The base was made with Polyfilla and rubble from the garden. The planking is balsa, and the rusty metal is bits of old farm machinery I've picked up on my flint-hunting expeditions.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Can’t believe I’m first to be seated. Great choice Peter

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I'll sit next to Lee - 2m away of course and watch you work your magic once again.
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Phew i made it,Join in before the crush starts.Got me cup of tea and assortment of mixed nuts as my type 2 snack.
Glasses on so proceed Pierre.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Buona sera Ricardo!

Don't worry, type 2 snacks will be provided; I had a timely reminder yesterday after eating some of my son's 18th birthday cake - the weirdest hypo. Why I haven't learned that I won't get away with it...

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You like your challenges Peter. I hope the seam lines work out okay

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice work on the seam, it should be OK with paint?

Looks like a reasonable trio once they are all finished

Looks like the Saharan heatwave has arrived for the next 48 hours, then winter showers!

Have a good day with the head, or has it been on the transplant list on its previous reincarnations?

Enjoy the day

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I'm going to keep the head, though I used a version of it recently on my U-Boat man. I think I'll start with the parka today. Dragon have depicted it in buff, which is wrong - they were only ever produced in limited numbers because of the costs involved and almost all were mouse grey.

Not looking forward to the arctic weather at the weekend.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
I'll gab my seat before the rest of the Rabble gain entry. To keep the dog happy iv'e brought him a nice bone.

Did you manage to get through customs with the kit?That's always a concern when buying from the Far East.
I love that base, the rusted section you found is spot on.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John.

There was no customs duty to pay on this one. The only time I ever get caught is with stuff coming from North America. Joe says thanks for the bone, and hopes he can manage it with less teeth. Don't make yourself too comfortable though, because this one's done.

The grenadier figure turned out to be very poor quality and I felt just wasn't worth carrying on with. The filling did more or less disappear under the paint, but the detailing and creasing to the front of the parka was pretty rudimentary. It would have detracted, rather than added to the vignette.

So with a space to fill, I went to the cabinet and dug out another figure:

100_7175.JPG100_7178.JPG

This is an SS cavalryman that I put together a while ago from various spare parts (Dragon, Tamiya and Verlinden).

Sorry this is over so quickly people, but thanks for joining me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I think John brought the bone for him self

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Very nice. The changes in uniform make it all the more interesting.

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - He likes to share with the dog.

Scottie - They are a motley crew, aren't they?

First Name
Matt
Wow Peter, your figure work is amazing...and the level of detail is awesome. love it!

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Matt. Good to have another figure painter with us.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Three beautifully painted figures which, being so varied, really show the range of your skills.
Jim