Dragon 1/16 Screaming Eagle

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Outstanding my friend.
Love the colours and shading.Really makes the detail pop.
Really good stuff.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Richard.

I'm actually beginning to prefer these plastic kit figures over resin. Plastic is easier to work with construction wise, is lighter in the hand, and seems to allow for more complicated detail (if not crisper) than resin. I've now got a small stash of Tamiya favourites, plus one Miniart hoplite to work on.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

More super work on the trousers.

Vallejo have been my go to paint for brushwork, the Model Air is OK, but the colour sets for specific periods and camo are better for the AB.

Should be a good day to finish the figure today?

Back to work and its a grey day, just right for more sunny showers.

Have a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Thanks for approving.

Steve - Not sure if I'll get it finished today. The equipment seems to be taking me longer these days and some of this will need the little 'US' letters adding, which is time-consuming.

Sunshine and showers here and colder, though with the promise of heat by the end of the week. Modelling work will slow down a bit from tomorrow as my daughter and granddaughter will be here for a week and a half - I'm childishly excited.

Hope the return to work is a happy one.

D

Deleted member 6559

Latest efforts:

100_4731.JPG100_4732.JPG100_4733.JPG100_4734.JPG

I got most of the personal equipment painted and mounted today. This stage is taking me longer each time, I think because I'm no longer content with a quick bit of dry-brushing to bring out the detail. The kit water bottle was swapped for a Verlinden version and I also added a pistol by the same manufacturer.

I did try to paint the US lettering on the equipment, but failed miserably. Instead I used a bit of lettering from the bottom of a decal sheet on the shovel alone and enhanced it a bit with paint. It doesn't bear close scrutiny, but it's OK from a distance.

The last stage will be to paint and fit the hands and rifle and to make a base.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Peter. Is the stars and stripes painted on or decal please?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - The arm insignia are both Peddinghaus decals (see page 1). The kit arms are supplied with nicely moulded examples, but there are a bit too pronounced. This way is simpler, and better than I could do free-hand.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Your Screaming Eagle is a real treat, well done.
Childishly giddy is good, just make sure you have your tablets to hand!
Have you another victim lined up for the bench, whilst your granddaughter is visiting?
Work is OK, but has distracted me from finishing the bust, up too early, back too late!
The weekend seems to be getting better with every BBC weather report.
Have a good day, finishing the figure?
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Tablets to hand, old toys recovered from the loft, granddad mode switched to go. Plenty lined up for future projects courtesy of Tamiya, Hasegawa and Miniart. The weekend weather forecast might even allow a trip to the beach.

Neil - Many thanks. This is a beaut to work on. Should be finished today.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I tend to agree with Neil - up there with your best. Although less colourful than the figures with bright reds, whites and blues you have somehow managed to up the impact with this.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Jim.

Part of the impetus with these recent figures was to try and improve my painting of drapery, which was a bit flat before.

D

Deleted member 6559

OK, here he is:

100_4735.JPG100_4736.JPG100_4737.JPG100_4738.JPG100_4739.JPG

Just the hands and gun to do today, and fortunately, once painted they slotted easily into place.

The base came with a box of stuff from Richard Pearce. Not sure who made it, but it was for a smaller scale so I added some larger debris.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Superb Peter. Like it alot. Some wonderful work on the equipment and uniform. Looks like plastic figures are working well for you

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph and Steve - Thanks very much for your kind words.