Dragon 1/16 Screaming Eagle

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Missed the start as I was away granddadding - actually building a playhouse. Took 3 days and nearly killed me but the little one loves it and it looks good.
I agree that changing the head was a good move - your painted version looks great. As for the uniform colour, a real can of worms, but not worth beating yourself up for. What you have done is quality painting of clothing.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice and crisp Peter. Really enjoying where this one is going. Great stuff

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - I always panic when someone starts talking about uniform colour. There are so many different opinions about this one out there that it's bound to cause argument (including one mad US commentator who was furiously angry and put the erroneous tan colour down to a Hollywood/Zionist conspiracy!). I want to get it right, but I'm not such a stickler for accuracy that I'll let it spoil my enjoyment.

Ralph - Thank you. It's actually a bit greener than the photographs are showing.

Steve - Really inspired by the IPMS photos you showed on your thread. This one is proving a joy to paint. I've done it twice before, but in the early days I lacked confidence and let it defeat me somewhat.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's up to your normal high standard Peter.
Great detail and shading .

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Well.. Peter... what can i say... as usual you deliver FANTASTIC figures.... if you are doing a D-DAY paratrooper... there must be an helmet mesh with or without hessian stripes depending on the regiment (501-502-506)
here you have 2 examples..
1st with hessian stripes
2nd without stripes..
Just a friendly advice

Attachments

• 506D_main.jpg
    506D_main.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5
  • helmet-m2-d-ring-parachutist.jpg
    helmet-m2-d-ring-parachutist.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 5
D

Deleted member 6559

John - Many thanks.

Greg - Thanks for the great reference. That's decided the issue though - Market Garden it is! The attack of the 506th on Neunen, the Netherlands, 20 September 1944. I'll add the insignia to the helmet.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Ok ..... just be aware that during operation Market Garden the 101st used already the new uniform the M43 and not the M42 (the uniform that you painted) that was used manly during Normandy campaign
If you decide to do a 82nd airborne paratrooper you can use the M42 since many paratrooper especially the 504th (the guys that did the WAAL Crossing you know.. Robert Redford in the movie a bridge too far praying "hail mary mother of God") used it (they were not issued the new uniforms) ... my 2 cents...
1st pic is a reinforced M42 for Normandy
2nd Pic difference M42(up) and M43(down) trousers
3rd pic M43 jacket used from Market Garden by the 101st... note the difference of the pockets and no belt

Attachments

• M42.jpg
    M42.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 5
  • m42--m43-trousers-complete.jpeg
    m42--m43-trousers-complete.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 5
  • m43jacket.jpg
    m43jacket.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 5

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
here you can see George Luz (Machine Gunner) and Eugene "Babe" Heffron on the right entering Eindhoven 18th Sept 1944
ume8tlrdxde21.jpg

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Here you can see Elements of 506 Easy Co. Operation Market Garden
the NCO that you see with the M1928 Thompson (his back) is 1st Sgt. Carwood Lipton
originals_017_l-1.jpg
and check this out Mr Heffron himself in the serie Band of Brother during the liberation of Eindhoven (the old man seated)
babeep4replacements-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for the great photos Greg. He's just going to be left as he is however. Perhaps his helmet mesh got caught up in his harness on landing and he had to cut it free? There's a million reasons why and how he could be wearing the combination he is and the rest is down to artistic licence.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Thanks for the great photos Greg. He's just going to be left as he is however. Perhaps his helmet mesh got caught up in his harness on landing and he had to cut it free? There's a million reasons why and how he could be wearing the combination he is and the rest is down to artistic licence.
ok Peter your figure your choice your model... ;) :smiling: as i said all my comments were friendly ideas/suggestions :smiling: :smiling:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A bright and breezy Bank Holiday Monday.
A bright and breezy uniform discussion too.
Artistic license will always prevail, and a superb job on the drapery, Peter
That must have been a real pleasure to paint.
Well done.
Looks like another good day for you with the trousers, though they aren't quite as creased.
Last day before work, and yet another chance to get that darned head on my bust painted!
Have a great Bank Holiday
Have you heard of and/or tried Scale 75 paints?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - :thumb2:

Lee - Glad you like him.

Steve - Weather not too bad for a bank hol, though not really barbecue weather. On to the lower half of the figure today and no doubt more uniform discussion (!).

I haven't tried Scale 75 paints - 'if it ain't broke' in my book. When I first restarted the hobby I assumed that everyone still used Humbrol enamels and Plaka (remember those?). After struggling for a year or so, then coming across Vallejo, I became hooked.

Hope you get time to work on the head...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
......then coming across Vallejo, I became hooked.
Very sensible. I would do well to follow that principle and really get to know one brand. I have odd colours from loads of different manufacturers - susceptible to all the advertising hype :rolling: :confused:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph.

I've built this twice before and I don't remember it being so complicated to paint. Obviously finding more detail this time.