Dragon 1/16 Sturmbannfuhrer Ardennes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6593.JPG

I'm really enjoying getting back into 1/16 plastic figures, so it's straight on to another Dragon offering. I haven't been able to find a photograph of the subject, but it may be an officer of Kampfgruppe Pieper in the Ardennes, or God forbid, Pieper himself. As I don't relish depicting convicted war criminals, I think I'll paint him as a Wehrmacht officer wearing splinter camo.

One unique sprue and two generic, cleanly and crisply moulded:

100_6595.JPG

I've put it together ready for painting, but will probably change the cap for a Wehrmacht version:

100_6596.JPG

The only thing I've added is the flare pistol holster. The folds and creases of the uniform have thankfully been simplified to allow for the camo pattern to be applied.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You are starting to make me a fan of these figures, will watch this one.

Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
or God forbid, Pieper himself. As I don't relish depicting convicted war criminals,

Cannot change history. If you do any Nazi figure/equipment you have to accept that they fought/was used under the Nazi regime which committed war crimes (so did we and our 'allies' the Russians/Americans but we kindly forget that). Whilst i love your builds. I disagree with your comment.

Any way.... back to the build :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Welcome.

Alan - Fair enough. I'm horrified by the crimes of the Nazis, but still model German soldiers as historical figures and human beings, the lack of choice of other subjects in 1/16 plastic perhaps having some bearing on my choice. I also model Romans, Napoleonic French, Vikings etc, who would probably have been as hated as the Nazis by their enemies in their time, so I do see your point.

However, there are certain individuals on all sides who perhaps go too far, and Peiper was one of them. I accept that it's a personal issue, but I can't bring myself to depict individuals who were known to have been responsible for atrocities, be they German, British, American or Outer Mongolian. Other people feel differently, and I accept that.

Please, please, lets not let this be an issue on this thread. If it threatens to become one, I'll have it deleted and start again.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Peter i did not mean to cause offence or start a "heated" debate on the ethics of modelling. So if this did cause issue then please accept my humble apologies. I was just trying to get my POV across regarding depicting certain people. I depict all my German aircraft with Swastikas. That is how they were and i will not delete history. No matter how bad it was.

Any way as i said earlier. Please carry on with this excellent build and again i am sorry for detracting from it.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’m definitely in for this build although it was a tragic place one of my favorite events of the war

D

Deleted member 6559

Alan - No problem.

Lee - Welcome aboard.

Well, after all that, I decided on the SS option after all, partly because the Wehrmacht cap I'd prepared didn't really work, and partly because I felt like painting Italian camo.

Here is the head:

100_6600.JPG100_6601.JPG

First Name
Andrew
Hi Peter,
I'm watching and enjoying your art.
I too wonder why I'm attracted to death, mutilation, misery, etc. etc. BUT I am, and I try to educate rather than promote war. It's a terrible thing, which we must learn lessons from or we will keep repeating them. People don't listen and learn, so repeat the crimes. I can only control my own choices but try to influence others. (END of sermon.)
Now back to the art............... Please keep going Peter. I really enjoy it - even evil fascists!
Andy

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great face, very serious, and lots of hats?

Reminds me of the old kiddies TV programme Mr Ben, and all his hats! LOL

Will you still do Italian camo or splinter?

How is the weather?

Snowing here!! I guess we all forget its still winter, and the weather just keeps on giving!!!!

I might not get to the dentist this afternoon! No great loss there!

Have you ever thought of doing camo swatches for practise and reference?

Cut out 1/16 Subbuteo football figure style shirt/jacket pieces and paint up camo, detailing your paints for reference.

Just an idea whilst you might be waiting for figures.

I finally have an update for the Pz I Flak.

Have a good day with the paints and snow?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

He's got a Wehrmacht cap, so I'm going for splinter - I've done a lot of Italian lately, so it's probably time for a change. Good idea for practising, though I tend to make it up as I go along, depending on the needs of each figure.

Too warm for snow here, though it is wet and windy. Struggling through the snow to the dentist doesn't sound like my idea of fun - probably best to stay warm, especially with your knee trouble.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

The snow disappeared by lunch after causing chaos on the roads for Monday morning!

Sadly I got to the dentist, and have to go back today as an X-ray showed a filling is failing.

Not pleasant but thorough, which is better than previous visits, each to a different dentist.

The BBC have snow at 3 pm today!

Hopefully a better day with the weather and light for painting

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Bravo for battling through to the dentist, though one they get their hooks into you.... Our poor old dog, Joe, is going in for some extractions tomorrow. Full anaesthetic, three out at the front for definite and more if necessary - each extra extraction £60. He's now nine years old, so we must expect these things to happen, poor old boy. Will be interesting to have a Jack Russell with a lisp. Reminds me of Frank Muir telling of how Patrick Campbell tried to fool burglars(?) that he was a fierce dog - only trouble was that not many Alsatians have a stammer.

No work yesterday as I had a hypo. Relatively mild, but enough to lay me flat.

Right, on to some camo!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
the jacket looks great! I once had a go at the 1/16 Tamiya elite infantryman - the camo pattern just baffled me - whatever I did it just looked BAD, so he ended up as landfill!
Sorry to hear about the hypo - I'm just about over mine on Saturday - blood sugars just about normal - I managed to get a bit of work done on my Ivan Kozhedub bust - I'll be putting up some pictures tomorrow
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Many thanks.

Dave - I find camo very difficult because I'm not that good at following or drawing patterns. There is also the problem of shading the various folds and creases and picking out the seams and other details. In the past I would paint the pattern in flat colours and just wash in shadows with a dark neutral colour, but these days I do it the hard way and shade each patch of colour in turn. I'm never that happy with the results and often feel that some compensatory painting of the trousers in a flat colour, allowing for some striking contrasts, is in order. I'll try and do that here.

Glad to hear you're also getting over your hypo - I'm feeling so much better than I did yesterday. It wasn't until I'd talked to you about it that I realised what had happened. Looking forward to seeing how Ivan is coming along.