Dragon 1/35 25 Pounder

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Following my mishap with the Stug I needed something to lift my spirits. Since I don't really have a stash yet this was about all I had. I've heard that Dragon instructions can be "interesting" but after a bit of head scratching it went together well. I started on Sunday afternoon and by last night the gun and shield were in primer, limber was done today.

No build photos as I wanted to crack on without that added pressure and just enjoy myself. Most of it was pretty straightforward though, even the PE, but the front, drawer section, of the limber just didn't want to fit. After carving big chunks out of the mounting faces I got it to where I was happy.

Sorry the pictures aren't very clever as the black primer seems to hide a lot of mistakes details, but for once I've managed to find some good real life pictures so at least I'll have something to work to when I start painting. Haven't decided whether to add the shield now or later. It'll certainly make the detail stuff easy with it off, and the pictures I have show a coiled rope on it so will probably add that later too, after wiping that greasy finger print off! :smiling5:

vCAgl4i.jpg

MxiIlhj.jpg

fz5z8Hn.jpg

0gtq8QY.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's some finish Andy with the primer !

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you trying something new Andy. I have the Tamiya version which I am hoping to kitbash one day. Its probably too late now but here is my walk around of a 25 pounder if needed HERE

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking good Andy, what primer have you used

I made this for my dad just before he passed, he was in the Royal Artillery. Surprised he knew what end was which:smiling2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

This was my usual Mr Surfacer 1500 but this time through my cheap airbrush with the bent needle! Lacquers are just so forgiving.

Thanks for the link Steve.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
One thing i found odd was after cleaning the airbrush after lacquers then cleaning after vallejo i had a strong smell of lacquere thinners! No trouble spraying vallejo!

D

Deleted member 7181

Wierd Bob, I'd just about convinced myself that's what was causing my problem - switching between the two.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very strange and smell of lacquer was strong? Getting my damaged Iwata fixed so using your good idea of two, one for vallejo, still got a lot of there stuff and the other for lacquer

D

Deleted member 7181

Tried something different last night by spraying some white from above at one angle to try and simulate fake shadows. I think I went a bit heavy though!

lHocm5n.jpg

Then a few light coats of Mr Color Olive Drab, but yet again a bit heavy as it hid a lot of the previous work.

pfbjX4Z.jpg

So tonight I lightened the base colour to add some extra highlights here and there. Still nothing sparkling but the more I practice the more chance I have of getting it right, and at least there is some variation there to give me something to build on.

fhGHp9Z.jpg

oGEQJf0.jpg

Not sure what I'll be doing next but will hopefully get some inspiration tomorrow. I'd ask for suggestions but I've seen what's happened in John's Stug blog :smiling5: I may try and mix an even lighter shade with Vallejo so I can brush in some minor details like brackets, handles etc.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking good, too bad the highlighting got obscured a bit but I’m sure you’ll still get a good-looking finish.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jakko. I keep haring that it's all about building up layers, so I guess even if it's only slightly visible it'll add something.

Fumbling around in the dark here with no real plan as usual, so anything could happen! :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not a painting style I’ve ever mastered (or even seriously considered trying to master) so it’s not like I can give you any advice on it. In any case, things not going to plan generally teaches you a lot more than when it all goes without a hitch :smiling3:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy

That looks like a great start to me. Let me add why this style of painting is appreciated by many folks. In fine art we say there is rarely anything more uninteresting than a plain flat colour. In the real world of 1:1 scale things they are usually so large that light variations across the object make its colour seem to vary from place to place across its surface. If you paint a model version in just one flat colour then, whether you realise it or not, it looks like a small model. In order to add realism at smaller scales, some modellers choose to make slight variations in colour across the piece. This is to try to simulate what we see in the real 1:1 object.

In addition the sharp edges of a model frequently don't look as sharp as they do on a 1:1 object. For this reason modellers often choose to either lighten or darken the edges of their model to help to give it a more defined form and to try to add MASS to what is a miniature representation of a large object.

If you try to follow this style of painting the end result is more important than the technique used. You will know when you get it right because your model will really come alive and look as though it has real weight and presence.

I hope this helps everyone to think about how they approach their painting.

Good luck with the next steps.

John

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I recall on TOSNTBN there was a lot of heavy experimentation w/the concepts mentioned above w/some interesting results. WAAAAY above my level. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Then a few light coats of Mr Color Olive Drab, but yet again a bit heavy as it hid a lot of the previous work.
Keeping preshades needs a lot of care. My success rate is abyssmal :sad: Yours is certainly not bad at all. You have kept a lot of shadow areas. You could try a slightly lightened, well thinned coat of the base colour airbrushed from above - like you sprayed the white. Personally I'd leave it as it is :thumb2:
Jim

Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice subject to try out something new Andy:thumb2:.

Maybe like Jim suggested, thinning the base colour more, I’ve found this gives you more control in leaving the pre-shade intact.
Takes a bit more time and effort but certainly worth it.

D

Deleted member 7181

John - thanks for your insight. I think I'm getting a grasp of the concept but putting into practice is another matter. It's so far away from the day job where perfectly uniform colour is the goal, letting the angles and curves of the vehicles bodywork add the variation. As you say, this doesn't seem to happen at smaller scales so I need to teach myself to add that contrast artificially.

Paul E - I'm enjoying the experimenting. Still way above my level but I'd like to get there eventually.

Jim - I tend to bottle out if I'm honest. I've done a couple where the preshading really stands out, but it looked almost comical so added another coat to tone it down. Trouble is by the time I've done other work the effect seems to get lost completely. Maybe I need to be brave and start out with an almost OTT effect, knowing it will be toned down a little later.

Paul - thanks, I think the paint is definitely helping me out there.

Colin - I'm sure I'll be using oils/oilbrushers further down the line as I have on some of my recent models. I'm hoping to try and get some decent effects going on in the base paint first though, so I can enhance them later (or at least have a go!)

Fernando - thanks. I think I do put myself under a bit of time pressure, wanting to complete a "stage" in the short time I have after work, so I'm maybe less delicate than I should be. I tidied up some of the transitions tonight to give me a sharper contrast between adjacent panels and was planning to get everything clearcoated to complete that "stage", but decided instead to wait and have another look at it tomorrow night. I've said it before but I need to learn to take my time with the process rather than trying to get each model completed as quickly as I can. Working shifts I get over 200 days off a year so ought to be leaving this sort of thing for those, when I can approach it in a more thoughtful manner.

D

Deleted member 7181

Unfortunately this has turned into yet another failure.

All was going well until I started weathering and bits just started dropping off again. I'll finish it in a fashion, but with massive glue marks and many parts out of alignment where I've gobbed them back together it'll never be anything other than rough.

Seems like I need to throw out all my enamel washes & oils as I just can't get them to stop dissolving my glue joints. Will have to try moving back to water based washes and using the AK weathering pencils instead. Or stop trying to do armour and stick with flying things :smiling5: