Dragon 1/35 ( 38t) Hetzer ( early production ) track links

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi all has anyone built this kit and if so do you know anything about the track links?

I started the kit a while ago and got as far as suspension and wheels but then looked at the track links ( daunting ) they are all the same coming on 4 sprues so all interlink ( once cleaned up )

My question is does anyone know how many links are on either side? No guidance in the instructions ( very basic and no true instructions on how many each side) and once this is done is there time to thread around the sprockets and wheels before the track sets or is it better to do in sections?

Never worked with individual track links before so all help accepted

D

dubster72

Robert, I've not built this kit, but there's a very easy way of doing individual track links.

Firstly, I'd separate the links into 2 piles. Then you'll have an idea of how many you're dealing with.

Get some masking tape & secure a length of it sticky-side up to your workbench.

Add the tracks link by link onto the tape until you have a decent sized run. I do enough to go around one or both of the drive sprocket/idler wheel.

Then add a drop of liquid cement at the points where the links join. The cement will run down into the tiny gaps. Give it about 10 minutes for the cement to start going off & then you can bend the track around the wheels,add sag etc.

In a few hours, remove the length of track, take off the masking tape & you're ready to do the remaining links.

Once they're all done, paint & weather them, before joining them together.

I've some pictures somewhere that show what I mean.

Cheers

Patrick

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Patrick for the info ( have watched a few you tube videos on hoe too but thought heh no harm in asking the experts the" easy way" the links are so fiddly to handle and clean up ( got a variety of glues available but think I'll use the humbrol liquid poly and keep the surgical gloves on ( hate the tacky finger marks)

Cheers mate

First Name
Aaron
One trick I've learnt is to count the tracks used on pics in the instructions and these are the amount needed + or - one or two. This has worked for me 10 out of 10 times. Another way is to use a length of masking tape draped around the road wheels then build to the length of tape.