1/35 BTR-70 APC with brush painted Digital Camouflage.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My good mate Dave (Gern) sent me this a while back. I intend to turn it in to a wreck, but first I'm going have a bash at brush painting the model in digital camouflage.

Sorry folks, there was no box so just the instructions picture.
P1220354.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I built that ages ago. Not a bad kit, but be careful of the hand rails and things, which are thin and break easily.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was wondering when this would see the light of day Ron. Waiting to see what you make of it.

PS I'm no angel folks - Ron did pay me!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was wondering when this would see the light of day Ron. Waiting to see what you make of it.

PS I'm no angel folks - Ron did pay me!
....and the cheque didn't bounce!

Thanks for the posts boys. Sorry for the delay in replying but 'tis now the season of much travelling.

I'm not trying to copy any particular 'Design', I'm doing my own theme, size and colour and this vehicle probably didn't have this type of camo. So please don't pull me up for any possible inaccuracies - It's a work of pure fiction. I'm just having fun and trying something new to me.......:upside::thumb2:

Before I went on walkabout I brush painted the model all over in the lightest colour of the three I intend to use for the camouflage, which is Vallejo Model Air Dessert Sand. Yesterday afternoon I decided what size 'Squares' would look summat like, then marked where I intend painting the digits with a pencil. I've not been too fussy with this, as I can hopefully correct any wobbles with each coat of fresh paint. I might fail miserably but I have to at least try. I'd go bonkers modelling the same sort of subject and not attempting something away from the norm.

I have left off a load of bits off to make the digital painting easier. These will be glued on later and then blended in.

P1220360.JPG

Next up. Diddy brush out and apply the second darkest colour.
Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You are certainly methodical in your approach 570.
I shall sit in the sand . minding there are no Camel spiders !

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I take it that it went together OK? I still have one in my stash and I'm looking for something easy to kick start me off after my job finished so abruptly!

PS If I do start mine, I won't be trying any elaborate camo patterns that's for sure!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent posts boys!

Dave - It is one of those too easy to put together, shake and make kits. I hate them! Also, most of the work is in the suspension which will hardly be seen anyway.

Thanks for the interest chaps.
Ron

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your support chaps.

Very nice day today, and yes I know I should have been outside catching me a few rays, but the bl***y model kept looking at me sideways!

So as a compromise, up went the parasol and out came the brush - and a can or two to steady my hand.

So here is the three colour result thus far. Apart from a bit of fettling, one side of the hull camo. is done. Sorry boys, I didn't photo the second stage paintwork. I'll remember for t'other side.......:upside:
P1220363.JPG

I've kept the side pattern straight throughout and not followed the bend in the front. I figured it would be more effective to create the illusion of one straight, flat 'Block' rather than follow the tank shape. I trust my ramblings make some sort of sense! The top picture shows how the sides appear straight - I hope
P1220364.JPG

P1220365.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing mate ! did you mask the bits or just freehand it? Tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yo mucker!

Glad my good buddy approves. I'm useless at masking and I know I'd make a balls of simply trying to stick the stuff on this or any model, so I always do my painting freehand - With a little help from Mr. Boddington's.....