Dragon 1/35 M4 Mortar Carrier

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s what the Americans, lacking as they are in the sensible measurements department, call it, yes :tongue-out:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a bit of tweaking - the radiator shutters, with plan'B'
DSCF3211.JPG
I can leave this for a while & wait until the final assembly to see which looks best....................
The two body pieces were primed & then topcoated ( I nearly forgot the PE mudflaps ). Its going well, but there are a few tricky parts left - PE brushguards for the lights & the armoured visor for the windscreen
DSCF3209.JPG
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Dave!

ATB.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
What do the United States, Liberia and Myanmar have in common?
They are the only countries not to have adopted the Metric System!
Dave
Didn't Jimmy Carter once promise that the USA would go metric before the end of his presidency?
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hey, Hey, Hey !! Watch it there Dave ! I mean, Jakko ! Well both of ya ! How 'bout a little respect, Redcoat ??;):smiling:
So how come your gallon is smaller than our old gallon then Ron…..and your mile is actually defined in terms of SI units…..I bet your red coats aren’t even the same shade as ours. Personally I blame Napoleon….

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Now, Now!! - I have a distinct bias against the US and their shunning of the metric system - I had to duplicate several mechanical bits & pieces I had designed, so our US subsidiary could use Imperial bearings. They could cheaply source them locally - the metric bearings I had specified weren't widely available in the US, & were expensive. So we had two sets of parts, visually identical, but not interchangeable, one for the US & the other for the rest of the world! Not the end of the world, but annoying!
The US subsidiary had to have a certain % of locally sourced parts in their products - some tax reason, I believe. I had to redesign an ignition system for a diesel to gas conversion set, the parts that were available in Europe, weren't in the US & I had to make do with some really klunky parts that were designed for much larger engines ( but available in the US )................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just my thoughts , metric is so easy to work in as opposed to Imperial.
Looking through old wood working drawings ( sad I know but nice to look back at ) the thought of having to mark sections out prior to machining in Imperial it's no wonder that I converted to the metric system .
As to Dave's build its made me want to get up and carry on with some yes you read right tracks .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking through old wood working drawings ( sad I know but nice to look back at ) the thought of having to mark sections out prior to machining in Imperial it's no wonder that I converted to the metric system .
As to Dave's build its made me want to get up and carry on with some yes you read right tracks .
John,
go for it - they won't go away, they'll still be there tomorrow, and the day after, unless you do something about it! :smiling4:
Cheers
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Dave,
As a newly qualified teacher in the 70s I well remember dealing with metric confusion. The child got it pretty quickly, the parents struggled and the grandparents often refused to believe it would ever catch on!
Jim

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As to Dave's build its made me want to get up and carry on with some yes you read

Looking good Dave,
As a newly qualified teacher in the 70s I well remember dealing with metric confusion. The child got it pretty quickly, the parents struggled and the grandparents often refused to believe it would ever catch on!
Jim

John this have to see ! :tongue-out3:

If your kids are were catching on quickly Jim then I must not have been in your class because I was the one in the back row looking out the window at butterflies lol

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I spent all my schooldays & college days using the metric system - My first ship was built in 1959 & she didn't have anything metric on her - I had to deal with PSI & degrees F, gallons, tons ( as opposed to tonnes ) inches watergauge, all the bolt threads were BSW or BSF - the lathes were imperial, as were the micrometers, verniers etc etc. It could be confusing at times!
Some measuring gear did cross over to metric as well - like degrees twaddle hydrometers. Things which now would appear as curiosities on the Antiques Roadshow!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Without wishing to completely derail Dave's thread, just my two penneth......

I was born in 1970 and so was only ever 'officially' taught the metric system and yet me default in every day life usually imperial....stone/lbs, mph and feet and inches. it's probably in part down to my dads' influence. He was obviously brought up on imperial and because so much was still done that way, thought I needed to understand the old system as well as the new one - he was equally at home in metric though. And yet when it actually comes to doing any actual work e.g. DIY at home, I do all measurements in metric because it is obviously so much easier to work.....

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
More derailment……I was taught metric from about the age of seven, so never really knew anything else…..until I started work. The dyehouse I started my first job in was completely non metric. I had to have a crash course in non metric measurements, including temperatures. The real eye openers were apothecary measurements for weight……I knew pounds and ounces, but had never heard of drams, scruples and grains before I worked there…..

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
In our defense, I think the last entirely Imperial measure automobile was built in 1974. We are a somewhat larger ship to turn. The UK has one seventh the economy, about a third the population, and fits comfortably within 11 of our 50 US states. Jus say'in. Plus you have a gov'mint and population that works together a site' better.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
In our defense, I think the last entirely Imperial measure automobile was built in 1974. We are a somewhat larger ship to turn. The UK has one seventh the economy, about a third the population, and fits comfortably within 11 of our 50 US states. Jus say'in. Plus you have a gov'mint and population that works together a site' better.
Lol, well you guys certainly can drive a point into the ground, I'll give you that. Anything about the United States y'all DO like, or I reckon not.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The hospitality, and the weather in the southern states.
Pete