Dragon 1/35 Saladin Armoured Car

J

John Rixon

OK,decided to leave resin for a while and do the Dragon kit of this Vehicle. A strangely empty box by their standards, which isn't a problem for me! Here are the sprues:

saladin 1.jpg

And the start of the Hull

saladin 2.jpg

So far so good, the fit isn't bad, but not what I'd expect for a new tool model - that is, with the last two Tamiyas I built, the hull and deck fitted totally perfectly,but this isn't too bad.just started on the suspension, which in both build logs I'm following (http://www.armorama.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=234211

and http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007428-dml-saladin/ is not as straightforward as it may seem, so I'm gonna be reet cautious - I'd quite like all six wheels to be touching the ground!! Some very odd positioning of sprue gates, making clean-up very tricky, and more seams than I'd have expected in a new kit. But aside from these issues, I reckon its going to look a belter :smiling3: .

J

John Rixon

suspension1.jpg

The wisdom seems to be don't glue yet, this is 2 hours of painstaking and delicate work!still a bit more clean up needed, but it was fun, I have to admit!

D

dubster72

Glad to see you've jumped in with this one John as it's definitely on my wishlist!

I agree with what you've said about fit & seams; I've 2 fairly new Dragon kits that don't seem quite as good as somewhat older kits.

J

John Rixon

Yep, a bit odd really, but as I said, it's beginning to look the part, and its so nice not to have to paint up 42 wheels!!!!!

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm glad that you bit the bullet and got this one. So far all looks good.

J

John Rixon

I'm glad that you bit the bullet and got this one. So far all looks good.

I think that if I get the suspension right, that's the tricky part! it is fiffly, but im not glueing it until all wheels are done, which means I have to be really gentle with it!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start to this one,John,dose look to have a lot of detail,whit the suspension, :D

J

John Rixon

Cracking on with this - the suspension needs utmost care when assembling, dry fit, then dry fit again! It's easy to mess it up, so take care! you could spend a week cleaning up all the suspension parts, there are seams everywhere, but it's worth noting that most of it will be obscured by a wheel...

Heres what I mean by annoyingly places sprue gates...

Last edited:
J

John Rixon

There are quite a few of these, and they are tiny! good luck if you dont have a magnifier.

tie down.jpg

And look carefully here - these are a bugger to clean up, again, take time and use a gentle touch!

Inner wheel.jpg

J

John Rixon

There is a lot of shaving material away, luckily I know woodworking techniques, which become really handy at a time like this - also an inexhaustable supply of 11A and 15 Swann Morton blades ;) . Having said all this, I really am enjoying it, makes a refreshing change to be dealing with big wheels and tyres!

couldn't resist a dry fit of the wheels!

wheeled up.jpg

Am thinking it'd be nice to paint this bad-boy up in desert colours - so much more scope for weathering than dark green. I have two images, any ideas where thay may have served Patrick?

old Sally 2.JPG

old Sally.JPG

D

dubster72

That looks kinda cool without the fenders - like an armoured beach buggy!

I remember reading that they served in Dhofar from reading a book about the SAS. Also they were in Vietnam with Australian forces - think of all that red dust! :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

Flying through this (realitively speaking, for a Dragon kit!) loads of minute parts, but carpet has eaten nowt so far...

toyed with getting some after market for it, then bottled it, I'm gonna do this OOB.

IMG_3933.JPGIMG_3934.JPG

This could stimulate a whole series of wheeled vehicles for me, no tracks, no tiny wheels, oh yes! (clear signs that I ought to move on from tanks...)

J

John Rixon

That looks kinda cool without the fenders - like an armoured beach buggy!

I remember reading that they served in Dhofar from reading a book about the SAS. Also they were in Vietnam with Australian forces - think of all that red dust! :smiling3:

This would be a beast to drive on the beach!!! Vietnam eh? I'm gonna have to de a bit more digging, or just paint it green ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is real looking good John,do like it,a lot, :D

as you where saying about the spur points on the wheels,been finding that a lot with the,Dragon kits,

I have some with up to 4 per wheel,and big fat ones,as well, :S