Dragon 1/35 Saladin Armoured Car

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
T

Triumph

Cracking looking build, you say wheels might be the order of the day, so after this how about the Ferret. I was lucky enough to visit the owner and we had a bit of a 'play'with this and others that he restores. Incidentally I asked if would do a  Saladin and he replied would not touch one, horrible things to work on

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
J

John Rixon

Getting near primer stage - waiting for my delivery of Stynlrez to prime this beast. Those smoke launchers would test the patience of a saint, so, so tiny and just the right shape for the "lemon pip" effect with tweezers!

IMG_3936.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,John,and can see that the smoke, launchers,are very fiddly looking,good job on this so far, :D

J

John Rixon

All Pimed up and ready for painting. I used Stynylrez for the first time, and am so far amazed at tit's quality and ease of use (see "Stynylrez - again!" thread). I've not quite decided upon which colour scheeme to use, although the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment in Libya appeals, as lighter colours offer more scope for weathering, in my eye - thanks again for the link Steve Brodie!

old Sally 2.JPG

sal3.JPG

Need a bit of time to think about this, as its going to a mate, and I suspect that he'll want it green!

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I vaguely remember those from my childhood.....cool! B|

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
All Pimed up and ready for painting. I used Stynylrez for the first time, and am so far amazed at tit's quality and ease of use (see "Stynylrez - again!" thread). I've not quite decided upon which colour scheeme to use, although the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment in Libya appeals, as lighter colours offer more scope for weathering, in my eye - thanks again for the link Steve Brodie!

View attachment 263686

View attachment 263688

Need a bit of time to think about this, as its going to a mate, and I suspect that he'll want it green!

You could go for the black and green John just to break it up a little.

looking great so far mate.

First Name
Stuart
Nice kit John and making good progress with it, looking forward to the next update 

J

John Rixon

Ha Ha - I wrote the primed  post a week ago and forgot to press Post...

J

John Rixon

So now we have the first base coat on, a mix of Tamiya Dark Green(XF-70) and a drop of Olive Green (XF-58) sprayed with my new single action brush, which is fast becoming a revelation in simple airbrushing! Next coat will have a different ratio of the same colours, and layered thinly at an angle, just to give some variation. Then I'll dive in with the 502 Abteilung oils to render it up. Still not decided whether or not to do a nato black camo on it, watch this space!

On a side note, I just fully restored a brush that was completely hardened with Stynylrez, with Mr Muscle Windo cleaner (Blue). Worth remembering methinks!

sally base.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking nice with some color on this one, 9_9

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Oooh, looking good there!! B|

J

John Rixon

It pretty much falls together, apart from the suspension, which needs care! I found an old academy .30 cal, and made an ammo box out of plasticard. Gonna put some stowage on the rear deck, but, for a Dragon, it's pretty simple. I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together, it'll be interesting to compare! Handsome vehicle isn't it?