Dragon Flak Maultier

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking great Ron, this is one soft skinned vehicle I want to do someday. The tracks itself will be worth it.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking good :smiling3: I like those kinds of (semi-)improvised gun platforms, regardless of the era they’re from.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Guys I enjoyed this kit and yeah Richard the tracks were okay for me, well really better than okay. I was so pleasantly surprised !
Me too Jakko but with this 3.7 setup I wonder how many recoils it would have taken to break the bed mounts from the frame lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks fantastic Ron. As to your question, how bad actually was the recoil?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Ron,

Looks a really nice build there and you've done a fine job on this Buddy. Good call going with the FlaK 38, more than the 3.7cm. The Maultier armed with the 3.7cm was not a one-off vehicle. The prob was the weight of the gun on the chassis so most of them got the FlaK 38. They also mounted the 3.7cm (FlaK 36/37) on the Opel Blitz and Ford 3 ton trucks as the cargo capacity of the chassis was rated higher than the Maultier. 3 tons vs. 2 tons. Odd, but true.............I guess it's time for some paint now huh!!!

Prost
Allen

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Morn Ron,

Looks a really nice build there and you've done a fine job on this Buddy. Good call going with the FlaK 38, more than the 3.7cm. The Maultier armed with the 3.7cm was not a one-off vehicle. The prob was the weight of the gun on the chassis so most of them got the FlaK 38. They also mounted the 3.7cm (FlaK 36/37) on the Opel Blitz and Ford 3 ton trucks as the cargo capacity of the chassis was rated higher than the Maultier. 3 tons vs. 2 tons. Odd, but true.............I guess it's time for some paint now huh!!!

Prost
Allen
Thanks for that info Allen ! I have wondered about that... so then I guess it's safe to figure that a 3t could also serve as a plstform for a triple-gun Drilling ? That's on my want-to-do list.
Paint.... hmmm.. yes I want to... Remember the first Cyberhobby Tiger I kit and how crazy the resale prices got with that ? I bought one back when it was a new release, built it but never got around to painting it. Now I'm glad I didn't. Odd mindset I suppose...
PS Ive built / painted a handful of Tigers since but none has the fame of that Cyberhobby one

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Think off-road. German trucks were mostly gussied up commercial on-road trucks while Maultiers were developed for on & off-road. GMCs/Jimmys were rated 2.5 tons, but that was off road. On-road rating was 5 tons.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
No probs Bro,

Cyberhobby's White boxed kits were usually a one of a kind thing and of a certain vehicle or prototype. Too rich for my old blood......You're right though, they go for stupid silly prices today!!!
The Drilling can be mounted on a 3 ton, as it was on the Sd. Kfz. 251/21 or even 2 mounted on a 3 ton trailer and others. I have a pic of a Drilling mounted on top of the armored Maultier nebelwerfer ammo carrier Sd. Kfz. 4/1. What vehicle do you plan to mount it on???
Also, what kit from Blast Models are you looking for, for your AFV Club UHU kit???

Prost
Allen

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Think off-road. German trucks were mostly gussied up commercial on-road trucks while Maultiers were developed for on & off-road. GMCs/Jimmys were rated 2.5 tons, but that was off road. On-road rating was 5 tons.
Good to know, Thanks Paul !

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
No probs Bro,

Cyberhobby's White boxed kits were usually a one of a kind thing and of a certain vehicle or prototype. Too rich for my old blood......You're right though, they go for stupid silly prices today!!!
The Drilling can be mounted on a 3 ton, as it was on the Sd. Kfz. 251/21 or even 2 mounted on a 3 ton trailer and others. I have a pic of a Drilling mounted on top of the armored Maultier nebelwerfer ammo carrier Sd. Kfz. 4/1. What vehicle do you plan to mount it on???
Also, what kit from Blast Models are you looking for, for your AFV Club UHU kit???

Prost
Allen
Allen, the Drilling will most likely go on a MB4500 Maultier but I'm glad to know that a Blitz 3t would be ok too. Yeah, I did recently see a pic of the Drilling on its own trailer, awesome idea for a scratch build. Rather, I mean for Jakko or Scottie to do one. Hint Hint !
The Blast Uhu, I lucked up and got both their Uhu sets direct from Blast. Prices were quite reasonable (I think) and their shipping / service was very good indeed.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed!! A great job so far!!!

ATB.

Andrew

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautifully done so far. Drilling was ground mounted & installed on almost anything that moved, including the Protz. I even saw a photo of it mounted in a captured M20. I've modeled Drillings on a trailer (two), the Protz, RSOs, sWS, & various versions of 241 all in 1/87 scale.

Last edited: