Dragon Panther II in 1:35

S

Stands24

Hi guys! First full construction journal here. This is a long-ish post spanning a couple months of work, catching up to the present. I will say that I know this kit has a lot of errors and would require HEAVY surgery. However, I'm not too concerned with it since they are just a bunch of minor differences that won't be noticed by a general observer. The only BIG change I made was switching out the turret for another kit's turret, explained later.

So this is Dragon's Panzerkampfwagen V Panther II in 1:35 scale, kit # 6027. This one I cracked open a couple months ago but haven't made significant progress until I got all the accessories for it. It's a pretty rare kit from what I understand, so I'm lucky I got it for an absolute steal! $32 total!!! This kit is older than me... It's from 1994. It is a fairly simple kit, no metal parts except PE for the engine deck. Mold quality is great with some slight flash here and there. It has link-and-length tracks, no rubberband tracks! The tracks ARE attached to sprues however, so there will be some tedious work ahead of whoever finds this kit... Here's the box art.

SSbzDbW.jpg

A page from the instructions. As usual, I started with the turret which was taken from another kit. I like Schmalturms. I dunno what it is about the rangefinder blisters on the sides, they just make the turret look so cool!
pCRqzp2.jpg

Road wheels being assembled. Three parts: outer & inner wheels, and a middle joint thing. The joints, suspension arms, and the tracks are all on their separate sprues and are a dark gray. The dark plastic seems tougher than the lighter. Odd!
22VXIgF.jpg

Running gear done! Took a LOT less time than my Tiger II's for some reason.
PTvWegU.jpg

And underside of the lower hull with suspension arms.
lVgn2WV.jpg

A little funny for all who stop by here. This was my B-29 in War Thunder after a... pathetic landing. Came in too fast on a short runway. I rolled down a hill, snapping off my front landing gear and ruining my propellers.
xa6cY7h.jpg

Here are all but one of the goodies I will use for this kit. I am adding side skirts, using Friulmodel tracks for the first time (yay), an IR scope, two antennae (not pictured) and (also not pictured because it is in the mail) side skirt holders which I realize I needed today.

C7c774T.jpg

So I didn't like the turret that came with the kit (too big and not enough accurate details) so I ordered Trumpeter's E-50 and used that kit's Schmalturm.  Overall a very nicely molded turret. If I make the E-50 itself, I'll use this Panther II's original turret. It'll be too big but oh well.

First, the old turret. You can see a snapped bar in the back; the plastic was way too fragile. :/

8l0PgwZ.jpg

New turret!!! Weld lines are much better, the commander's hatch is correct, as well as a couple other details. There are also spots for the camo loops (whatever you call them)!
XlSAfG3.jpg

To make the turret fit on the Panther II hull, I had to remove its locking tabs and add a few of my own. Very basic improvising, using sprue numbers as the tabs. In the first image you'll see one of the old tabs on top. Then I had to trim away the tab slots on the hull to make them larger and sand them down.
yVwa5lG.jpg
0M7rqSt.jpg

Unfortunately, after I did this and made it fit, I found out it sat too high on the hull so I had to sand down the large exterior ring (shown later in the post).

Even more details!
sCC2bQ3.jpg

Completed!! The kit came with its own IR scope, but it was very basic and underdetailed for my liking so I used the IR scope I had originally planned to. It required some modification in order for it to fit. As for the gun, I used the original Panther II gun because I really do not like the shape of the E-50's gun mantlet. The E-50 kit has two mantlet options but one just looks strange and the bell-shaped one is too "long" with too sudden and sharp of an angle for my liking. Luckily the gun fit right inside the slot, though I may have to secure it some more later. VERY pleased with this turret.
ERzRypZ.jpg

nExu797.jpg

UdVFOC7.jpg

And the scope that came with the E-50 kit, compared to Greatwall Hobby's scope (E-50 kit scope first).
786Xyh8.jpg
42Mau8M.jpg

Here we have the front of the upper hull. The hatch handles were horribly bent in the kit when I got it. I'm not sure how to fix it but I attached them the best I could. The next problem I encountered was a lack of periscopes provided in the kit. It has none! I went back to my Dragon King Tiger kit which has like 10 extra periscopes and grabbed two. Love having extra parts. (:

J1tLmxn.jpg

They didn't fit straight from the kit, so I had to modify them. I cut off the flat part that extends outward from the periscope itself, and sanded down the sides of the outer periscope half.
KGDz64x.jpg
6afh0bL.jpg

fU368F9.jpg

One issue I had with this kit when I opened it was the incorrect rear attachment points for the cable hooks. Or whatever they are.
icon_scratch.gif
I looked for hours on the internet to find a kit with the proper ones to no avail... Only to find that REPLACEMENT tabs were included in this kit, and I had to cut off the existing ones.
tard.gif
It went off without a hitch! I like the way these look. The old tab is on the left, and the new on the right.
MP4mppC.jpg

DrMDAjv.jpg

Then work proceeded on the side parts, mostly just the attachment points for tools. I cut the tools out of the sprue and will paint them separately.
lXtFqZm.jpg

HMbsOei.jpg

A shot of the engine deck detail, then one of the front detail. That machine gun in the ball mount was INCREDIBLY brittle. I had to super glue it back together after it snapped in half.
jyWbjH5.jpg
tHqBppD.jpg

Just a couple days ago I finally fixed the Trumpeter kit's turret to fit the Dragon kit's hull.

First I had to get a razor saw... But because every blade I saw was absolutely huge, I just bought small sawblades for my X-Acto knife. They were too wide to cut the ring OFF so I just went around over and over again using it as a super sander.
icon_e_biggrin.gif
After a couple hours the big ring was sanded down quite a bit and the tall interior ring popped off. Looked like this.
1XIyXzn.jpg

I like how I unintentionally made this cool, perfectly symmetrical scratch pattern. (:

0JBbjlJ.jpg

So I wasn't expecting the inner ring to pop off as well... it was too small in diameter to be glued back to the turret. Luckily earlier that day I had gone to my local hobby store and FINALLY found some spare Evergreen styrene sheets! I cut off little squares, cemented them inside the turret as a platform, and cemented the ring on them.
huFpDFt.jpg

On goes the ring, but the makeshift locking tabs sat too close to the turret bottom! D: Never fear, Evergreen sheet came back to the rescue. I cut off tiny rectangles to use as spacers and cemented the tabs on top of them, which I put on the ring.
pizZOFF.jpg

And after all that extensive surgery, our Schmalturm patient is back together and better than ever! It now sits back on the hull properly instead of sitting way too high. (: I'm actually quite happy with this result, especially considering how most of the solutions and improvisations here were thought of in a matter of seconds. xD
LZ0XB0v.jpg

EZojJaN.jpg

Side note, I cut off and primed all the tools so they're ready for painting and they will be attached after the tank itself is painted. I started working on the Friulmodel tracks because the side bars for the side skirts are in the mail.

Post your thoughts guys. (:

D

dubster72

You're certainly putting in a lot of work into this kit! I had the same one myself, but got frustrated with it & bought the Trumpeter E-50 instead ;).

Looking forward to seeing more of this one

Cheers Patrick

B

Builder

Very detailed build post Ryan, youve put alot of work into this and it shows mate. 

S

Stands24

You're certainly putting in a lot of work into this kit! I had the same one myself, but got frustrated with it & bought the Trumpeter E-50 instead ;).

Looking forward to seeing more of this one

Cheers Patrick

I was annoyed at first with the brittleness of the smaller parts (like that old turret part) but I kept going because this is one of my favorite tanks. For that reason I don't want to do TOO much weathering, and all of the side skirts will remain on the tank but maybe a little bent and bumped.

I have mixed feelings about the E-50 because the hull just looks too large for the turret to me, as well as there not being many road wheels. It calls to mind the image of a guy with a tiny head, extremely huge buff body, and tiny legs. Lol!

And thank y'all for your comments! ^_^

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work with this one Ryan,all your added work dose show,very well done with it, :D

S

Stands24

So does anyone have any instructions on how to eliminate the seam lines that would appear if you cemented several flat pieces of plastic on top of each other?

First Name
Michaël
So does anyone have any instructions on how to eliminate the seam lines that would appear if you cemented several flat pieces of plastic on top of each other?

hello ryan,if i understand correctly you want to remove those seams?

Or you want to make some?(my english is not so good to understand you but i give it a try)

DSC01710_zps7eb4mdty.jpg

made by 
greenstuff_zpshpqbqc6v.jpg

But you can also use those sprue's you wanna thrown away with a candle and glue

google it for you (send you the bill of my work) :smiling3: ;)

IMG_0182.jpg

S

Stands24

hello ryan,if i understand correctly you want to remove those seams?

Or you want to make some?(my english is not so good to understand you but i give it a try)

made by 

But you can also use those sprue's you wanna thrown away with a candle and glue

google it for you (send you the bill of my work) :smiling3: ;)

IMG_0182.jpg

I mean uhm... Picture that I am taking three small identical pieces of plastic and cementing them directly on top of each other. There will be seam lines separating each piece, right? How would I flatten them out to make them look like one big piece instead of three small pieces?

First Name
Michaël
If you can remove then ,just do it!!..otherwise it's gonna be a mess...i had the same problem....my piece of plastic (made by sprue left over) are way to thin to make the correct seam .

start all over with a bigger and thicker piece of plastic.

I don't think glue will help here.... 

S

Stands24

If you can remove then ,just do it!!..otherwise it's gonna be a mess...i had the same problem....my piece of plastic (made by sprue left over) are way to thin to make the correct seam .

start all over with a bigger and thicker piece of plastic.

I don't think glue will help here.... 

Oh lol, I'm trying to make some parts that were left out of the kit. The individual sheets I have are too thin so I'd need to cement multiple thin versions of it together.

It's the lower part of the socket that holds the towing hook attachment point thingies. Just at the tip of the lower glacis; you can see it on the box art underneath the U-shaped hook grabby handles. My vocabulary isn't the widest lol.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I mean uhm... Picture that I am taking three small identical pieces of plastic and cementing them directly on top of each other. There will be seam lines separating each piece, right? How would I flatten them out to make them look like one big piece instead of three small pieces?

If the plastic is very thin, the chances are that you will melt them totally, but if you are getting visible seam lines in a join, you have not used enough glue.
I'm still not sure of the part you are referring to but Remember those number tabs you used.....are they to thick, to thin? 
I bet a trip to the hobby store will be the easiest solution?

Great build log by the way.

S

Stands24

If the plastic is very thin, the chances are that you will melt them totally, but if you are getting visible seam lines in a join, you have not used enough glue.
I'm still not sure of the part you are referring to but Remember those number tabs you used.....are they to thick, to thin? 
I bet a trip to the hobby store will be the easiest solution?

Great build log by the way.

I got over my laziness and added a pictures of what I mean this time. xD I forgot that since I've gotten my computer fixed, working with images has gotten much easier. My bad!

So basically I want to make the small bit circled in red, because it wasn't included in the kit.

TTayp2Y.png

However, my sheets of plastic are this thin.

CjgNAKb.jpg

So I'd need to cement a couple on top of one another to get the proper thickness for the part. How would I go about getting rid of the resulting seam between these two sheets to make the bigger part?

S

Stands24

I forgot to include images of the Aber PE engine grille set I got. xD I lost one engine grille and I had to buy it. Later found that grille in some stupid spot under my bed that it never should have reached... Oh well. The upgrade looks much better anyway. I apologize for the super glue. I don't have any soldering utensils nor do I have any idea how to use them. The parts kept sticking to my fingers and stuff... I hate PE lol...

2bvtuQs.jpg

8qWTD3B.jpg

WOW these parts were tiny. At first I was dipping a tiny paint brush in acrylic gloss to pick up the little bolts, then using my modeling knife to push them down form the brush onto a tiny spot of super glue. Didn't work very well. So then I made a makeshift sticky pencil. I bought one of those precision sanding cylinders that look like pencils with the small tip, then dabbed that tip onto a tiny bit of gorilla glue, making it sticky. I picked up the bolts with that and put them down on a waiting patch of gorilla glue. Much cleaner and faster!

uanzir4.jpg

And the finished view. Again, sorry for the super glue nastiness. I think it will go away a bit when it is primed and painted. If not, well, maybe it could pass for dirt and dust buildup?

ZfDQnps.jpg

S

Stands24

Short update! Completed a side of Friulmodel tracks. They are so much easier to work with than Magic Tracks lol. I also cemented the idler arms in place with the proper length.
73Zuj6P.jpg

r8Ajix6.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like the look of the tracks, :D

S

Stands24

Finished both sets of tracks. Will paint the tools next and prime stuff.

ZuktW85.jpg

aL1SGAg.jpg

Wu6pZ20.jpg

JojhzZ8.jpg

And here we have our Panther II sitting in its cute little cubbie for the night! ^_^

nSmRH0B.jpg

That's where I keep my in-progress tanks. Currently the Panther II and Leopard 2A6 (Tamiya). I also have a Ta-152 C-11 but that's elsewhere, and my Tiger II with zimmerit is in "storage."

Thoughts? :D

S

Stands24

ALSO, I tried to get it just right with the track sag, to match the Panther II in Fort Benning. You guys can check to see if I got it right.

Last edited:
T

tommy1drop

Nice work, looking forward to seeing some war paint on her, great work on the tracks ;)

S

Stands24

Nice work, looking forward to seeing some war paint on her, great work on the tracks ;)

Thanks! ^_^

I just now realized how different the colors of plastic are for the Trumpeter turret and Dragon hull... LOL, easy to tell which parts of this kit aren't original! It's a "mutt model."

Last edited: