Drew's Messerschmitt BF109 E-3, Tamiya 1:48

First Name
Drew
Here’s my entry for the GB.
I’ve always loved the shape of this plane so thought this would be the ideal time to build one.
This will be a first for me on several fronts, it’s the first 1:48 plane I’ve built, first time using masks, going to have a go with pre-shading/weathering and it’ll be my first BF109 since I was about 10!!
I also got a seated resin pilot for it so I’m hoping he’ll fit inside!
However, I'm not yet brave enough to try the mottled colour scheme so it'll be plain (plane?? - I'll get my coat) sides on this one.
I just need to find a the right paints for it so I don't have to do any mixing!

I was reading a little bit about the pilot who flew the 109 I'm going to do (Adolf Galland) and saw that he became friends with some of the RAF aces he would've, at one point, called enemies.
I may have to try to paint a little mustache on the pilot (who, thankfully is fully clothed, not just wearing swimming trunks as Galland was apparently known to do while flying in Spain in support of General Franco's forces).

Now to find something to do for the next 5 weeks...

thumbnail_IMG_8084.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8085.jpgthumbnail_IMG_8088.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice choice. That's a very relaxed looking pilot.

First Name
Drew
Nice choice. That's a very relaxed looking pilot.
Just easing myself back in after a long time away from building.
Tamiya kits always seemed pretty spot on (build-wise anyway) so thought the most taxing bit of this would be the paint work.

I thought that about the pilot too, I think his left hand's supposed to be hanging out of the cockpit.
I took the Tamiya pilot off the sprue and put him alongside the resin guy to check if they were about the same size and it looks like it should be a pretty good fit in the cockpit.