Dried filler

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I have a tube of Squadron Products 'Green Stuff' modelling filler that is drying up - it has become quite stiff/thick and difficult to squeeze out of the tube, and doesn't stick as well as it used to.
Is there any way I can soften it?

What do you think about squeezing or cutting open the tube and putting all the filler into a small jar, then stirring in some solvent?
I don't know what solvent it uses, but I would have thought that bulk liquid glue/methyl ethyl ketone would do the job, and any leftover MEK can go into the liquid glue bottle.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have the same issue, question.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Try thinning a little of the putty first. When (you find a solvent) that works, you can thin the rest in a jar.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I would take care mixing these things - do them outdoors & avoid inhaling any vapour.
I put my tubes of filler into a glass airtight jar - it seems to give a longer shelf life, and I know where they are!!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Seems to me that unless you can use water, the cost of the solvent is going to be close to the cost of a tube of new filler. I’d cut my losses and buy another tube….

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If I remember Squadron green stuff uses toluene as the solvent, or used to.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive done this geoff , i had a tube of green stuff and a tube of Humbrol filler that had gone a bit stiff so i cut open the tubes and scooped them into an old 10ml Tamiya paint jar . I then kept adding cellulose thinners and stirring until it was nice and runny . I use it when i only need a thin smear and it dries quick too . The brand of cellulose thinners i use is Tetrosyl , i get it from the local motor factors for about £14 for a 5 litre tin . This is also what I have always used as a liquid cement , I fill an old marmite jar and use a reeves nylon bristled brush to apply it, the cellulose not affecting the nylon bristles . It comes on handy when i want to deep clean the airbrush now and again ( remembering to take any rubber O rings out first as the cellulose will swell them ) i can take some pics tomorrow if it helps . Cheers tony