Drill sizes

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, have been offered some drill bits, good quality, but they are priced per drill bit. My question is what sizes have people found to be helpful and of use, I don't think I need that many sizes but wanted your opinion. Thanks Guys.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I can give you an idea of our best sellers, these are sales over the last 2 months, you can tell what is more popular.

0.25mm Drill Bit19
0.3mm Drill Bit32
0.4mm Drill Bit22
0.5mm Drill Bit37
0.6mm Drill Bit16
0.7mm Drill Bit10
0.8mm Drill Bit4
0.9mm Drill Bit4
1.0mm Drill Bit7
1.10mm Drill Bit5
1.2mm Drill Bit4
1.5mm Drill Bit4
1.70mm Drill Bit1
1.80mm Drill Bit2
1.90mm Drill Bit1
2.00mm Drill Bit7

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I can give you an idea of our best sellers, these are sales over the last 2 months, you can tell what is more popular.

0.25mm Drill Bit19
0.3mm Drill Bit32
0.4mm Drill Bit22
0.5mm Drill Bit37
0.6mm Drill Bit16
0.7mm Drill Bit10
0.8mm Drill Bit4
0.9mm Drill Bit4
1.0mm Drill Bit7
1.10mm Drill Bit5
1.2mm Drill Bit4
1.5mm Drill Bit4
1.70mm Drill Bit1
1.80mm Drill Bit2
1.90mm Drill Bit1
2.00mm Drill Bit7
Hi, thanks, didnt think I'd need many, I have a few already so that's ok.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi, have been offered some drill bits, good quality, but they are priced per drill bit.
You can also get sets with drills from 0.3 mm through 1.6 mm.

My question is what sizes have people found to be helpful and of use, I don't think I need that many sizes but wanted your opinion.
That’s harder to answer than you might think, because it depends a lot on what you need the holes for. If, for example, you usually make hatch handles on tanks from 0.5 mm copper wire, you’re bound to get a lot of use out of an 0.55 mm or 0.6 mm drill, for example, but if your usual wire is 0.7 mm then those drill sizes will see very much less use for you :smiling3: In other words: think about what you intend to use them for, and you can probably answer your question better than any of us can.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
You can also get sets with drills from 0.3 mm through 1.6 mm.

That’s harder to answer than you might think, because it depends a lot on what you need the holes for. If, for example, you usually make hatch handles on tanks from 0.5 mm copper wire, you’re bound to get a lot of use out of an 0.55 mm or 0.6 mm drill, for example, but if your usual wire is 0.7 mm then those drill sizes will see very much less use for you :smiling3: In other words: think about what you intend to use them for, and you can probably answer your question better than any of us can.
Hi, thanks for that, wise words are spoken.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another approach is to buy 0.3, 0.6, 1.0, and 1.3 and then a set of tapered broaches. You can then open the holes out to whatever size you want....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Don’t forget that you need a pin vice (or whatever) that can actually hold the bits. Mine has trouble with about 0.5 mm and down, for example.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Don’t forget that you need a pin vice (or whatever) that can actually hold the bits. Mine has trouble with about 0.5 mm and down, for example.
Hi, yes that was a thought I had, the drills I have/get are of set shank sizes not the size of the business end.
But thanks to all who have commented, it all helps.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Referring to what Jakko has said about a pin vise Mark I had a cheap one at first, always trouble with those very small drills , bought a Tamiya, with a large and a small chuck. What a difference, takes the smallest of drills with no loss of grip.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good point about the pin vice. I bought an eclipse pin vice with three collets about 35 years ago and it is still going strong. A tool factor such as Shestos will have them. Don’t try to use small drillls like this in a Dremel, you will just break them or melt the workpiece.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a quick look around, the eclipse 120 pin vice set on Amazon looks excellent value. Remember, these can also be used for holding wire for shaping and filing if you need to, they don’t just hold drills....

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
@John , you had some bits in a set that had from 0.5 to 3mm I think, but the end that goes in the pin vice where all the same size. Made them a lot easier to handle and changing sizes very quick and easy. I even use them without the vice at times. will you be getting them again?
Sorry for the hijack of the thread Mark.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
@John , you had some bits in a set that had from 0.5 to 3mm I think, but the end that goes in the pin vice where all the same size. Made them a lot easier to handle and changing sizes very quick and easy. I even use them without the vice at times. will you be getting them again?
Sorry for the hijack of the thread Mark.
No problem.