Dry Brushing

S

stew59

Hi Everyone

I know this is probally a very stupid question

But back into hobby after many many years break.

And the old memory not what it used to be.

When dry brushing do you use a soft brush or a stiffer

one or does it depend on what you are dry brushing

Sorry if it seems like a daft question.

cheers

Stew

S

Sky Raider

Hi Stew, each may have their own different view, but it does depend on what you are brushing and what effect you are looking for. I have found both hard and soft brushes work or even a soft brush cut back to short bristles. The other option i use is a product call rub abd buff. Great stuff comes in silver or gold.

Andy

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I haven't done any dry brushing for ages but last week I did an engine and built up different colours and was quite impressed with the results, I use a soft brush, you want to achieve a subtle effect

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Everyone has their own method. I use a short stiffish brush usually. The important thing is for it to be really "dry". You don't want to be painting your subject.

Cheers

Steve

R

Richy C

I tend to use a stiff brush more than a soft brush but I do use both methods depending on what I`m working on , there are no set rules in model making and everyone finds the best way that suits them , with an old model or even a bit of card try both and see which you prefer , also the quality of your brushes can make a massive difference even with dry brushing

There is no such thing as a stupid or daft question on this forum Stew everyone helps everyone on here , it won`t be long till your back in the swing of things and anything you need to know just ask away

Richy

B

Bunkerbarge

If you want a really subtle effect and build it up slowly and possibly vary the shade then probably a softer brush. Don't go too soft otherwise you will loose the will to live trying to get any effect at all. For a more pronounced or higher contrast effect use a slightly firmer brush, as always and as already mentioned use a test piece to see how it will turn out.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No such thing as a daft question on here stew! All i can add to the excellent replies so far is dont forget to use a cheap or older brush, if you start dry brushing and scrubbing away with one of your finest sable brushes its going to get a bit knackered! Another tip i read somewhere on here (apologies to who posted it but i cant recall who) is to test if youve got just the right amount of paint on the brush , is to brush your finger ,and if just your fingerprint gets highlighted then its just right. Obviously if its not enough you wont see anything and if its too much then all your finger will be painted . cheers tony

S

stew59

Thank you so very much to all for the advice

I will try it all out

Very grateful to all of you

cheers

Stew

B

Bunkerbarge

Maybe you can post a couple of pictures showing how it went. It's always good to see how things turn out when someone is trying a new procedure.